Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What's your best day as a translator been?
Thread poster: Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
"this translation doesn't suck!" Jul 5, 2013

I've worked on a few really neat projects that I'm very proud of and will talk about endlessly if asked. The one that really made me feel good about myself, and my work, was shortly after the launch of a new video game that I helped translate and proof. I logged into the game's Spanish server where I found a lively discussion about how the translation of the game "didn't suck."

I had a special account in the game that allowed me to do all kinds of things, like create items, summon b
... See more
I've worked on a few really neat projects that I'm very proud of and will talk about endlessly if asked. The one that really made me feel good about myself, and my work, was shortly after the launch of a new video game that I helped translate and proof. I logged into the game's Spanish server where I found a lively discussion about how the translation of the game "didn't suck."

I had a special account in the game that allowed me to do all kinds of things, like create items, summon bad guys, etc... So, before they took away my moderator account, I granted super powerful items to those who praised the translation and banished the others to the inferno, with a message to the entire world reading "THE TRANSLATION GOD BLESSES THOSE WHO WORSHIP HIM!!!" (in Spanish, of course).

The developers thought it was hilarious.

[Edited at 2013-07-05 18:15 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:45
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I think Łukasz is right, but not entirely right Jul 6, 2013

I'm still thinking about the question - thanks everyone else for heartening contributions!

As Henry Hinds says, we need to take a firm control of where our careers are goeing and as far as we can contribute, where the industry is going. There are plenty of pitfalls.

Looking back at the good days is inspiring - how can we live through more of those?

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree Jul 6, 2013

Christine Andersen wrote:

I'm still thinking about the question - thanks everyone else for heartening contributions!

As Henry Hinds says, we need to take a firm control of where our careers are going and as far as we can contribute, where the industry is going. There are plenty of pitfalls.

Looking back at the good days is inspiring - how can we live through more of those?

My wife decided to paint this on our bedroom wall - "The best way to predict the future is to create it."

Though I am opposed to graffiti, I think it's very applicable. My wife and I decided to open our own agency with the goal of paying above average rates to all of our translators. We are working hard to find the best quality clients and are focused on providing a great service to every one involved. I don't think that we will grow to become a huge agency, but I do believe that we can help a little. If a lot of people can help a little, we can do a lot.

That and I'm posting this sign in the window.

photo service_zpsd36b7f70.jpg

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Well, I always wanted to start a similar discussion Jul 8, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

The present of translation is rather gloomy, as is the future, so I thought perhaps it was a good idea to look into the past to lighten the day. Well, evening in my case. This question is primarily aimed at the true veterans, but everybody truly is welcome to join. Thank you for sparing the time to reminisce.

To lighten up everyone's day. But I was afraid that it might turn into the usual analysis of world economics, instead of a collection of fond memories.

Personally, I like the little gestures of appreciation by my clients that will make my day. Or week. Or month. Or something. Or will remain unforgettable.

I guess, my favorite one was a phone call from a French client who called to express his thanks for a major project (I was allowed to assemble my own team, and together with the greatest ProZ.com-colleagues on earth we pretty much blew his mind.) Because his English was, erm, very limited, he ended up making kissing sounds over the phone.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Going from school-leaver level to Master in a matter of months Jul 8, 2013

For me, it has to be when I finally got my certificate for my Masters in translation without actually having to translate a word into English.

I was given the Masters in recognition of the level I had attained by dint of learning on the job (15 years' experience at the time). I had to submit previous translations and a document explaining how I had reached that level. On the strength of my file, they made me take a translation theory module (because when you learn on the job, obviou
... See more
For me, it has to be when I finally got my certificate for my Masters in translation without actually having to translate a word into English.

I was given the Masters in recognition of the level I had attained by dint of learning on the job (15 years' experience at the time). I had to submit previous translations and a document explaining how I had reached that level. On the strength of my file, they made me take a translation theory module (because when you learn on the job, obviously it's all hands-on!) and a couple of modules of translation into French (not my native language but everyone had to do a few modules into their main source language), then I was awarded the Masters.

I went straight into paid work after leaving school without any training whatsoever, so I went from having just English A levels to having a French Masters in a matter of months, without actually having to translate a word from French into English. Felt pretty chuffed!
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Lost and found Jul 29, 2013

I think the best momensts are when a client comes back to me and insists they like my personal touch. I worked for a while with a designer who used to write his texts in somewhat difficult handwriting... with beautiful drawings. I would then call him to agree on what he had actually written, and on the terminology for having his designs made at the factory. It was all very low-tech, and I would not want to do it all the time, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

When I started freelanc
... See more
I think the best momensts are when a client comes back to me and insists they like my personal touch. I worked for a while with a designer who used to write his texts in somewhat difficult handwriting... with beautiful drawings. I would then call him to agree on what he had actually written, and on the terminology for having his designs made at the factory. It was all very low-tech, and I would not want to do it all the time, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

When I started freelancing, my biggest client for a long while was my former employer, but I was contacted by another agency who also helped me on my way. They sent some good projects and paid well, but had their own CAT system, and I spent some sleepless nights on it! After a time my favourite PM in the Danish office left, and although I worked well with others, the agency dropped me and I sighed with relief!

The great moment came when I was contacted by a PM from a new agency that had recently started up, and was invited to work with them - I had been strongly recommended by one of the partners who started the agency, none other than my former favourite PM. So now this new agency is really a major client - and definitely addressing a lot of problems in the profession. They do a lot of the DTP and coordination work a single translator does not have time to do, and are looking into the future from the translator's point of view.
And they are lovely people who come with constructive criticism and suggestions as well as positive feedback.

I think I appreciated that day more later on, as I found out this was not just another agency...

I was quite pleased to be contacted by one of my former teachers, too, when he wanted a native speaker of English to do a translation.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your best day as a translator been?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »