Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 16, 2013

I think it is Czech, but I am not sure. What did the author try so say?

Thanks in advance!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Similar story concerning Spanish Jun 16, 2013

Target has been forced to rename a women's line of footwear called 'Orina' after discovering the word means 'urine' in Spanish.

The retailer became aware of the unsavoury meaning about a week ago and the collection of sandals have since been removed from its website with an error message appearing in their place.

The Latin Times deemed the mislabeling an 'epic fail', especially considering the 'large percentage of Spanish-speakers that shop at the chain store.'
... See more
Target has been forced to rename a women's line of footwear called 'Orina' after discovering the word means 'urine' in Spanish.

The retailer became aware of the unsavoury meaning about a week ago and the collection of sandals have since been removed from its website with an error message appearing in their place.

The Latin Times deemed the mislabeling an 'epic fail', especially considering the 'large percentage of Spanish-speakers that shop at the chain store.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2306930/Target-forced-rename-womens-Orina-sandal-discovering-style-means-urine-Spanish.html#ixzz2WQClMjbI
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:02
French to English
+ ...
Yes, it's in Czech Jun 17, 2013

Nicole, it is in Czech, and it's not a mistranslation. Apparently, the bar does indeed keep turtles in the urinals at the men's room. The question is whether they are live or, say, ceramic. The bar is here in Prague, so maybe I'll pay them a visit one of these days.

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thanks for a laughing start into the week .... Jun 17, 2013

whether it's a mistranslation or just a question of "ceramic or alive" ..... Please keep us informed Anton! I am really curious now!

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:02
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Not a mistranslation Jun 17, 2013

There really are (ceramic) turtles in the urinals. Only in the Czech Republic

David Friemann, MA
David Friemann, MA  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
English to German
selling point Jun 17, 2013

The only thing that is really unsavory about the ceramic turtles in the urinals is how the sale happens: do you just pick one out of the urinals, rinse it off and take it home after another pint? or do they keep spare ones in the back room? And do they serve a purpose in the urinals or are they just for decoration? So many questions...What's the name of that bar? I really need to go there some time...

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Photos? Jun 17, 2013

If anyone does indeed visit the turtle-nal, can someone please take photos?
Edited to add: of the turtles.. NOT the urinals in use...

[Edited at 2013-06-17 08:46 GMT]
Edited to add: Googling "turtles urinal" (not with quotation marks) yields some quite interesting? disturbing? photos... but as far as I can see, not of these particular turtles....

[Edited at 2013-06-17 08:48 GMT]

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
For those interested Jun 17, 2013

This seems to be a picture of one of those very turtles in its (not so natural) habitat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcooper/3390508891/in/photostream/

The picture following this one shows the sign again (including the name of the pub).

[Edited at 2013-06-17 09:01 GMT]

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Thanks, Thomas. Jun 17, 2013

My curiosity is satisfied. I can get back to work now.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Soccer goal urinal Jun 17, 2013

This one is not aimed at drastically reducing beer consumption, either: http://geekologie.com/2010/06/gooooaaaaaal-soccer-goal-urina.php

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Aha! Jun 17, 2013

Finally I know why men spend so much time in the bathroom.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Firemen with short hoses... Jun 17, 2013

At a place of education I used to visit, there was a notice in one of the unisex lavatories with the request: 'Would firemen with short hoses please stand close to the fire - thanks from the cleaning staff.'

Another tale I heard was that the problem was solved by attaching plastic flies on wires to hover at the ideal point.

I love the football goals - Where can I get one for our bathroom?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
aim Jun 17, 2013

Apparently when men have something to aim at, the floor doesn't need clearning quite so often

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
All I can say is... Jun 17, 2013

Oh my gosh... There goes all of my productivity for the day!

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Wait, there is more! Jun 17, 2013

Your aiming accuracy on video.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turtles in the urinal

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »