Off topic: Some German dictionaries ....
Thread poster: Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt
Kathinka van de Griendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:52
German to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2009

I had to call my provider yesterday about a problem I was experiencing with my email account. The consultant, who is of German origin but cannot speak the language, sent me the following when he successfully received my test mail:

"Durchgebraten. Geniessen Sie einen guten Tag!"

After a bit of thinking I concluded that he meant, "Well done. Have a nice day!"

Love it!!!

Kathinka

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Analogy Nov 5, 2009

Kathinka van de Griendt wrote:

I had to call my provider yesterday about a problem I was experiencing with my email account. The consultant, who is of German origin but cannot speak the language, sent me the following when he successfully received my test mail:

"Durchgebraten. Geniessen Sie einen guten Tag!"

After a bit of thinking I concluded that he meant, "Well done. Have a nice day!"

Love it!!!

Kathinka

This reminds me of the advertising slogan for some tobacco brand and its double meaning: "It's toasted!" Na dann, guten Appetit! A day can be quite heavy to... digest in some cases.

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Durchgebratene tests und steaks Nov 5, 2009

Wow, but this here is really wonderful. A "durchgebratener" test... - My compliment: It would have taken me some time to decode this.

The German guest in a British restaurant (in a joke, popular among English teachers), asking the waiter "When will I become my steak?!" - and getting the waiter´s polite answer "I hope never, Sir...", now has a nice equivalent in my private collection...

[Edited at 2009-11-05 23:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some German dictionaries ....

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »