Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Sep 23, 2009

Hello everyone,

Recently, I read an article on the New York Times about interpreters being killed in Afghanistan :
Please see
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/jacob-the-interpreter/

Regardless of your political viewpoint, is it justifiable to kill interpreters or translators? They only serve to convey communication. I'm not s
... See more
Hello everyone,

Recently, I read an article on the New York Times about interpreters being killed in Afghanistan :
Please see
http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/22/jacob-the-interpreter/

Regardless of your political viewpoint, is it justifiable to kill interpreters or translators? They only serve to convey communication. I'm not sure they support the war.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:11
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terrorism is... Sep 23, 2009

...the art of justifying the unjustifiable...

Indeed I had a long conversation with an the Afgan taxi driver who drove me back to JFK airport last year. He was the perfect candidate for interpreter work for the military but when I asked him why he would not go for the good money offered in that work, he looked back and simply said "But interpreters get killed!." Some interpreters he knew were dead already.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I think it depends on the conflict Sep 23, 2009

Trinh Do wrote:
Regardless of your political viewpoint, is it justifiable to kill interpreters or translators?

If the interpreters are present during a battle or skirmish as part of the military staff of the enemy, then I don't think justifiability is an issue. In the heat of battle, it's kill or be killed. If an interpreter deems himself a civilian and hides during such a conflict action, and gets killed, it is simply collateral damage, and you can't point fingers.

If the interpreter is captured following a skirmish or battle, then I think the question would be whether he is employed by the enemy or not, and whether he is acting under duress or not. Whether he is armed or not is not relevant.

If he is not military staff but he does aid the enemy, I'm sure there are words for that as well (spy, perhaps? aren't spies generally executed?). If he is military staff, he should be made a prisoner of war, but not all belligerents have the resources to maintain the Geneva Conventions (and ironically those that do often don't).

They only serve to convey communication.

The fact that they carry no weapons doesn't mean they cause no deaths.

I'm not sure they support the war.

Without their assistance, certain offensive actions would not be taken. True, in some cases they may prevent unnecessary offenses and unnecessary deaths (remember though that from the viewpoint of the enemy, all harm to its own is either unwarranted or unnecessary, or both).

Translators often believe that they are protected from liability for the contents of their messages, because they're simply messengers. This attitude works well in business, but war is often a matter of life or death (!), and different rules apply.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completely missed the point! Sep 23, 2009

Sorry Samuel, but in your (IMHO, ideology-packed) reply you completely miss the point that these people are civilian and that the war being fought in Afghanistan is not a war of conquer but a war aimed towards helping Afghanistan become a democracy.

Rachael Alexander
Rachael Alexander
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Becoming one of many targets Sep 23, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Sorry Samuel, but in your (IMHO, ideology-packed) reply you completely miss the point that these people are civilian and that the war being fought in Afghanistan is not a war of conquer but a war aimed towards helping Afghanistan become a democracy.

Aside from the questionable assumption that the war is indeed aimed at helping Afghanistan become a democracy (and the merits of whether or not it should ever have been started), I think I can see Samuel's point. A translator is not just a civlian as in effect, he/she has decided to provide services to a customer and in doing so is viewed as having taken a side. In theory, by forming that allegiance, he/she becomes a target.

This is in no way justifiable however but neither is the slaughter of hords of men, women and children in the name of democracy - regardless of nationality. Or the aid workers that are targetted and not just in Afghanistan.

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The interpreters are Afghanis themselves! Sep 23, 2009

I really have to stress that they are Afghani civilians, not Americans, as the Afghan language is not that popular in this world. Besides, they are playing the role of communicators between two different cultures - Western (British/Australian/US,etc.) and Afghani. If the Allied forces capture an Afghani suspect, they need an interpreter so that there would be no misunderstanding that would lead to regrettable results.

It also comes to my mind why Osama doesn't spend money on hiring
... See more
I really have to stress that they are Afghani civilians, not Americans, as the Afghan language is not that popular in this world. Besides, they are playing the role of communicators between two different cultures - Western (British/Australian/US,etc.) and Afghani. If the Allied forces capture an Afghani suspect, they need an interpreter so that there would be no misunderstanding that would lead to regrettable results.

It also comes to my mind why Osama doesn't spend money on hiring interpreters instead of suicide bombers to dash into skyscrapers and hiring fighters to risk their lives to fight for him. After all, the Afghani people really need money. Is Obama bent on destroying Afghanistan (as we see now) for his own ambition, regardless of the human cost?

I look forward for feedback.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We are translators: let's use words properly Sep 23, 2009

Brannigan wrote:
This is in no way justifiable however but neither is the slaughter of hords of men, women and children in the name of democracy - regardless of nationality. Or the aid workers that are targetted and not just in Afghanistan.

If you check the meaning of "slaughter" you will see how it means indiscriminate killing of massive numbers of people. I don't see that happening in Afghanistan, or at least not on the side I think you refer to (the soldiers sent there by democratic countries). Please, let's use words properly. We are translators for God's sake!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:11
SITE FOUNDER
Getting beyond the scope of the site Sep 23, 2009

Hi all,

This topic may or may not be within the site's scope (ProZ.com is a "translation workplace"). However, parts of several replies certainly stray from that scope. Therefore I am closing the thread, as mandated by the standard procedure used by moderators to ensure that discussions stay within scope.

Again, as is standard practice, I have to ask th
... See more
Hi all,

This topic may or may not be within the site's scope (ProZ.com is a "translation workplace"). However, parts of several replies certainly stray from that scope. Therefore I am closing the thread, as mandated by the standard procedure used by moderators to ensure that discussions stay within scope.

Again, as is standard practice, I have to ask that no one reopen discussion on this topic.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The role of Afghan interpreters in the Afghan war

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »