Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
English to Slovak
+ ...
Aug 25, 2009

Something I've just come across.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090825/tod-slip-carefully-shanghai-tackles-bad-575248e.html

P.S. My apology. Meant to post it in "Lighter side".

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:02 GMT]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Funny Aug 25, 2009

Wouldn't re-contracting all those signs to professional translators be cheaper than starting offices where people could report mistranslations?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:41
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I believe there are many similar sites on the Web Aug 26, 2009

I've seen some on other sites in different countries, where English is not the official language. And they really make me laugh or

Hanbing
Hanbing
Canada
Local time: 13:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
Funnier Aug 26, 2009

Thank you, Rad, for posting the link. As a matter of fact, Beijing also launched a campaign to correct the English version of restaurant menus. If you have time to google that, you may run into something even funnier:)

It would be interesting to know, besides giving English readers a laugh, what else do such signs or menus lead to? Confusion, and finally figuring things out? Do they indeed mislead anyone into risks? Maybe the context and non-verbals clear up everything.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:41
French to English
Beijing restaurants Aug 26, 2009

Funny this should come up - I am travelling in China at the moment and have seen some "amazing" translations in restaurants. I actually wrote a few of the best ones down:

- butterfly scales (harmless bow-tie pasta salad)
- fried steak (turned out to be some kind of breaded fish, which I need to avoid due to allergies - rather dangerous because I actually bit into it before realizing it was fish!)
- thousand island juice (salad dressing)
- salad jam (ranch dressing)
... See more
Funny this should come up - I am travelling in China at the moment and have seen some "amazing" translations in restaurants. I actually wrote a few of the best ones down:

- butterfly scales (harmless bow-tie pasta salad)
- fried steak (turned out to be some kind of breaded fish, which I need to avoid due to allergies - rather dangerous because I actually bit into it before realizing it was fish!)
- thousand island juice (salad dressing)
- salad jam (ranch dressing)
- chicken (beef) intestines (not a very appetizing way to present sausage)

Even funnier is the English translation of the in-flight H1N1 Virus educational movie!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mistranslations in Shanghai - funny

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »