NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:23
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Luck o' the Irish Mar 13, 2009

Friday the 13th, black cats, black pints... they're all pretty lucky for me. But then my heritage goes back to the land of that other lucky fellow, the one who eats seafood and rice and sometimes gets the wavies (from the stout, I now no longer doubt), so I'll wish you all an early Happy Paddy's Day by the light of the still-nearly-full moon (well, it would be by the light of the moon if not for the blindingly bright sun), another omen this week surely.

I've owned three entirely bla
... See more
Friday the 13th, black cats, black pints... they're all pretty lucky for me. But then my heritage goes back to the land of that other lucky fellow, the one who eats seafood and rice and sometimes gets the wavies (from the stout, I now no longer doubt), so I'll wish you all an early Happy Paddy's Day by the light of the still-nearly-full moon (well, it would be by the light of the moon if not for the blindingly bright sun), another omen this week surely.

I've owned three entirely black cats in my life, and although their luck didn't extend to immortality, in their lifetimes they surely crossed my path repeatedly and yet I never tripped and fell into any mirrors nor did any buckets of paint fall from the ladder onto my unsuspecting head.

No danger of that now, I only own a King Shepherd, surely an unlucky thing for any feline passers-by.

Most importantly, though, my grandmother, God bless her soul, was born on Friday the 13th, so that's surely a lucky day for me.

All the best, people, all the best now, I'm off to scarf down my Colcannon

Nancy
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 05:23
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Spooky ; superstitious Mar 13, 2009

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

normally it's finger-lickin' good, to suck your fingers, as they say around here, but who knows, because anything can happen on ....

In Serbian, we also say " finger-licking food" or "the food so tasteful to lick your fingers". I guess the expression was designed by the people who eat with their hands without using the cutlery ( I know the Indians do).

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH...

I would have liked to put the above in big shakey scarey blood-soaked letters to get everyone in the mood, but I don't know how, and chances are that if I try it today, my laptop will blow up in my face.

Watch it, everyone ...

Yes, this superstitious belief about Friday the 13th exists here, among general public. Anything can happen on Friday the 13th ? So can on any other day /date. With some people, superstitious beliefs progress to the level of psychosis. It can be dangerous, and I always discourage people from believing in such things, whenever I have the chance. If somebody can prove this, I'll start believing in it too. Where is the proof ?

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cats and pints Mar 13, 2009

Yes, that one will do nicely, Andrea, thanks. A little more sinister than Marie-Hélène's choice, which is also a superb specimen.

Thanks, Nancy!! Although I must say the wavies aren't stout-related. Maybe I should try to phase that method in.

I'm outta here. Have a good weekend!

Mervyn

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 23:23
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
KFC Mar 13, 2009

Lingua 5B wrote:

In Serbian, we also say " finger-licking food" or "the food so tasteful to lick your fingers". I guess the expression was designed by the people who eat with their hands without using the cutlery

Kentucky Fried Chicken used it as a slogan for years, for obvious reasons.

Nancy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Friday the Thirteenth

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »