Off topic: Acting like James Bond
Thread poster: Simon North
Simon North
Simon North
Local time: 11:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2003

The most unusual translation job I have had so far was about 15 years ago. It was the MBA thesis of the managing director of a leading domestic electrical manufacturer. Most of his thesis covered a plan for restructuring the staffing of the company, including a lot of compulsory layoffs. I had to the translation on his laptop, at his desk, locked in his office. I was allowed to see no-one, talk to no-one, and not mention a word about anything I had heard, read, or seen. I had to sneak into the o... See more
The most unusual translation job I have had so far was about 15 years ago. It was the MBA thesis of the managing director of a leading domestic electrical manufacturer. Most of his thesis covered a plan for restructuring the staffing of the company, including a lot of compulsory layoffs. I had to the translation on his laptop, at his desk, locked in his office. I was allowed to see no-one, talk to no-one, and not mention a word about anything I had heard, read, or seen. I had to sneak into the office early in the morning and slide out in the evening doing the best I could to pretend I had never been there ... odd to say the least.Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
North, Simon North Jul 15, 2003

Simon North wrote:

The most unusual translation job I have had so far was about 15 years ago. It was the MBA thesis of the managing director of a leading domestic electrical manufacturer. Most of his thesis covered a plan for restructuring the staffing of the company, including a lot of compulsory layoffs. I had to the translation on his laptop, at his desk, locked in his office. I was allowed to see no-one, talk to no-one, and not mention a word about anything I had heard, read, or seen. I had to sneak into the office early in the morning and slide out in the evening doing the best I could to pretend I had never been there ... odd to say the least.

My name is North. Simon North Wasn't Roger Moore also Simon Templar?
At least you weren't issued a cyanide pill, right?

[Edited at 2003-07-15 15:13]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:44
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Old one :) Jul 16, 2003

Hi, my name is Bond, James Bond...

-Damme, Van Damme, Jean Van Damme, Jean-Claude Van Damme...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acting like James Bond

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »