Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 3, 2003

So there I was enjoying a glass of my favorite non-dairy drink, when I caught sight of the following copy on the carton: "ORIGNAL ENRICHED". This from a leading brand with impeccable marketing practices. I decided to write to consumer affairs, respectfully pointing out the typo, and received the following reply:

Dear Ms. Galilea,

Thank you for your interest in our XXX
packaging. We strive to keep a high quality, consistent product and
appreciate your patron
... See more
So there I was enjoying a glass of my favorite non-dairy drink, when I caught sight of the following copy on the carton: "ORIGNAL ENRICHED". This from a leading brand with impeccable marketing practices. I decided to write to consumer affairs, respectfully pointing out the typo, and received the following reply:

Dear Ms. Galilea,

Thank you for your interest in our XXX
packaging. We strive to keep a high quality, consistent product and
appreciate your patronage.

Your comments were reported to our Marketing Division and our Regulatory
Affairs Department for further investigation. If you still have the
packaging, please send it to us. We will send you a postage paid label for
the packaging and as a goodwill gesture we will send a couple of free
coupons to you. Please provide your complete mailing address so we may do
so.

Again, thank you for your continual support of XXX.

Sincerely,

XXX
Consumer Affairs

I could not help but chuckle when faced with the news that a missing "i" warrants further investigation! Hopefully that was a euphemism for "we will find out who is responsible for the blunder", rather than an indication that they have to consult their dictionaries for confirmation of my claim

At any rate, if you have a favorite product, you may want to pay close attention...there might be some free groceries in your future

Cheers,

Susana
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:43
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Free Products Jul 4, 2003

Fascinating !

For time being I am very busy on a translation job, but as soon as I finish it I will tell you an incredible and true "marketing story" which happened to me 20 years ago.
It is about "Top Notch" rand names for after-shave cologne and "Eau de Toilette".

Please be patient.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Eau de Cologne Jul 4, 2003

While waiting for Thierry's true story on this subject, here's one from me.
In 1959, when I was living in Cologne, there was a story in the local press about someone in the business of emptying sewage from septic tanks. To advertise himself, he put his phone number on his malodorous tankers in huge letters. The number happened to be "4711". The makers of 4711 eau de cologne were not amused and obtained a court injuction forcing him to remove his phone number from his tankers.

[Ed
... See more
While waiting for Thierry's true story on this subject, here's one from me.
In 1959, when I was living in Cologne, there was a story in the local press about someone in the business of emptying sewage from septic tanks. To advertise himself, he put his phone number on his malodorous tankers in huge letters. The number happened to be "4711". The makers of 4711 eau de cologne were not amused and obtained a court injuction forcing him to remove his phone number from his tankers.

[Edited at 2003-07-04 17:40]
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:43
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) Jul 4, 2003

It may happen that you don't receive any answer whatsoever! As it happened to me here in Argentina, when I did something similar... They never bothered to answer!!
V.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great story! Jul 4, 2003

Jack Doughty wrote:

The makers of 4711 eau de colgne were not amused and obtained a court injuction forcing him to remove his phone number from his tankers.

4711- Eau de Cologne - ???ml/???oz
UNISEX

Thank you Jack! It was such a great story.

Come to think of it...may be the person who "happened" to see the tank was Susana´s mom auditing the streets in her "free time"!

Besos para todos, Au

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
German to English
+ ...
Attention Getters Jul 4, 2003

Most advertisers believe that there is no such thing as "negative attention". Some of those less serious "mistakes" are quite intentional.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ay, Au... Jul 5, 2003

AURORA HUMARAN wrote:
Come to think of it...may be the person who "happened" to see the tank was Susana´s mom auditing the streets in her "free time"!

Ay, Au...whatever makes you think my momma ever had any "free time"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On being a linguist and a consumer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »