+ ...
Jun 18, 2003

Text follows. Enjoy!

Respectable Emesystem as I already think statement I am interested
>to your production for the realization of a wide net of weather
>station for the agriculture.
>Without this can be limit for possible your proposals to respect I
>want to inform you that I would have defined in substance the system
>of acquisition, transmission and feeding.
>The Datalogger (6A/4
... See more
Text follows. Enjoy!

Respectable Emesystem as I already think statement I am interested
>to your production for the realization of a wide net of weather
>station for the agriculture.
>Without this can be limit for possible your proposals to respect I
>want to inform you that I would have defined in substance the system
>of acquisition, transmission and feeding.
>The Datalogger (6A/4D) inclusive of playpen protection, of battery
>and panel fotovoltaico and system of transmission or I remove LPD or
>modem gsm (entries 0-2,5V and feeding 6,2V) you/he/she has been
>offered me to ca. 600 dollars.
>I now have to complete the system with the relative sensors that are
>not furnished me.
>I would like an offer of your sensors that you/they can be suited
>for the specifications of the system (signal 0-2,5V and feeding max
>6,2V).
>After the realization of a first prototype for the testing, if
>everything is all right, ca could need me. 250 stations with one or
>more sensors each.
>I also attend news on the formalities of purchase and payment.
>Regards.
Collapse

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 19:54
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Perfecto! Jun 18, 2003

Just what I said, Perfect!

Perfect, of course, if you are looking for a professional suicide.

Maria-Jose Pastor
Maria-Jose Pastor
Local time: 12:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
what???? Jun 19, 2003

do you understand this at all?

yes - point made!

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
Machine translation-Dictionary translation! Jun 19, 2003

What machine can't provide is appropriate words in appropriate context and can ruin the soul of original text. Above is the example of the same. Some people depend on machine for their translation purposes but this is how the outcome arrives!
PRAKAASH

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Italian to German
I did some work to find out the funniest Jun 19, 2003

machine (or not) translations:

http://www.proz.com/home/20424/aut.html

[Edited at 2003-06-19 13:51]

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good joke Jun 19, 2003

Martin Schmurr wrote:

)

MT is made by man and it cannot work without him. WE all know it doesn't and can't replace a translator. It is just another man made toy! Just like the computer, however when it is used smartly, with proper handleing it becomes a great tool for any translator that understands how it supposes to help out. It will help you in the job, if properly programmed, it won't do it for you. If a text is written in, let us say, a machine language code like, then a MT will do a great job. In my opinion if you take all the semantics off a language it will become a better MT input. Like the old saying: Garbage in Garbage out!!!Anyway, I like the Bill Gates' joke! Cheers!

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
Swedish to English
+ ...
Horses for courses Jun 19, 2003

Of course you are right to castigate this bit of almost nonsensical machine translation, but at the same time, let's give MT its due - or as we say in English, horses for courses.
When human translation is too slow or too expensive, then MT is better than nothing. And after reading this garbage 3 or 4 times, I think I got the gist - the guy wants to buy some sensors. If I were a salesman in this line of business, I would find this MT translation potentially very valuable.

So,
... See more
Of course you are right to castigate this bit of almost nonsensical machine translation, but at the same time, let's give MT its due - or as we say in English, horses for courses.
When human translation is too slow or too expensive, then MT is better than nothing. And after reading this garbage 3 or 4 times, I think I got the gist - the guy wants to buy some sensors. If I were a salesman in this line of business, I would find this MT translation potentially very valuable.

So, while laughing at today's often comical MT efforts, we should be working out how human translators can take advantage of tomorrow's gradually improving MT facilities - otherwise the MT experts will have the last laugh.

Hope I have said enough to provoke a debate!
Collapse

Robert Pranagal
Robert Pranagal
English to Polish
+ ...
machine sex Jun 20, 2003

Machine translations are just like machine sex...
There are people, who just can't afford anything else...

Bes regards,

RP.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
MT can never replace the originalityj of a human translator. Jun 20, 2003

Dear Friend,
Smartly means that you've to put your mind to pay out editor/vatting purposes/checker/proofreader in this case.
For your info, many of the translaion needs are tried to sorted out by MT, which is not always as accurate as a human translator. Even you'll put the concerned reference or say put some effort to do it perfectly in machine, but it can't replace translator's miraculous efforts which can bring pearls, or can create the best possible translation.For eg. there was
... See more
Dear Friend,
Smartly means that you've to put your mind to pay out editor/vatting purposes/checker/proofreader in this case.
For your info, many of the translaion needs are tried to sorted out by MT, which is not always as accurate as a human translator. Even you'll put the concerned reference or say put some effort to do it perfectly in machine, but it can't replace translator's miraculous efforts which can bring pearls, or can create the best possible translation.For eg. there was a word in english in an ad of a reputed soft drink company-
for limited period.
It was translated in hindi as
Maryaadit samay tak.
This translation was absolutely wrong as maryaadaa is not limitation of offer period in this case. It 'd have been
Nishchit avadhi tak or some other appropriate/suitable word.
So, is machine translation not a slang for unknown foreigners who're totally unaware of the concerned language?
Moreover, if you're ready to pay editor then why not to translator for his efforts?
PRAKAASH
Camaxilo wrote:

Martin Schmurr wrote:

)

MT is made by man and it cannot work without him. WE all know it doesn't and can't replace a translator. It is just another man made toy! Just like the computer, however when it is used smartly, with proper handleing it becomes a great tool for any translator that understands how it supposes to help out. It will help you in the job, if properly programmed, it won't do it for you. If a text is written in, let us say, a machine language code like, then a MT will do a great job. In my opinion if you take all the semantics off a language it will become a better MT input. Like the old saying: Garbage in Garbage out!!!Anyway, I like the Bill Gates' joke! Cheers!
Collapse

stynky
stynky
English to French
ce mai faci ? Jun 25, 2003

ce

stynky
stynky
English to French
ce mai faci ? Jun 25, 2003

ce mai faci

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
? Jun 25, 2003

stynky wrote:

ce mai faci

Is it Romanian, French or what else?)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine Translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »