Thread poster: mariana24
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:16
English to Thai
+ ...
In Thailand Jun 27, 2008

I've been looking for good quotes on translation on the internet and have found a few very good ones, some were known to me, some were not. Here go a few of the ones I liked, please add any you like.

In my country:

Translator is a professional with or without special trainings

Translation is to be blaimed on any mistakes or failures

Translation is a hidden and promising job in our country

Translaion is a female job

Cheers,

Soonthon L.

Jakobson? Nov 21, 2012

Hi All,

I have a question concerning the below quote:

"Translation is like a woman. If it's beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful."

whose words are these? They are attributed to Jakobson. However, I heard that he is not the one who said that in the first place. Do you happen to know who did?

Thank you for your help.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:16
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Seventeenth century France Nov 21, 2012

In his book 'Is that a Fish in your Ear', David Bellos traces 'les belles infidèles' to seventeenth century France, where translators of the classics removed allusions to matters like bodily functions and sexuality that were not considered fit for polite society.

He also says (p. 131) that it is an insult to women.
But you need to read the chapter, where he also discusses the origin of
traduttore/traditore
- rendered by Douglas Hofstadter as ' Translator, trader'
... See more
In his book 'Is that a Fish in your Ear', David Bellos traces 'les belles infidèles' to seventeenth century France, where translators of the classics removed allusions to matters like bodily functions and sexuality that were not considered fit for polite society.

He also says (p. 131) that it is an insult to women.
But you need to read the chapter, where he also discusses the origin of
traduttore/traditore
- rendered by Douglas Hofstadter as ' Translator, trader'.

And while you have it in your hands, read the whole book!
I really enjoyed it, and there is lots of food for thought as well as answers to many of the myths and misunderstandings about translation.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:16
English to Polish
+ ...
With both, it takes time to look for one that's both. Jul 22, 2013

Bin Tiede wrote:

Neither beautiful nor faithful are some women and translations.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:16
Russian to English
+ ...
I really like this one -- and I believe this is what Jul 22, 2013

translation should be like. "

"Translation is not translation, unless it will give you the music of a poem along with the words of it". Millington Synge And what is encoded in them -- I would add.

Yevgeny Yevtushenko? Nov 3, 2013

Rosina Peixoto wrote:

Hi Mariana,

You have started an interesting thread. Here´s my contribution:

Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
Yevgeny Yevtushenko

If the dream is a translation of waking life, waking life is also a translation of the dream.
Rene Magritte

Translation is at best an echo.
George Borrow

Poetry is what gets lost in translation.
Robert Frost

The best thing on translation was said by Cervantes: translation is the other side of a tapestry.
Leonardo Sciascia

Translation is an interestingly different way to be involved both with poetry and with the language that I've found myself living in much of the time. I think the two feed each other.
Marilyn Hacker

As far as modern writing is concerned, it is rarely rewarding to translate it, although it might be easy. Translation is very much like copying paintings.
Boris Pasternak

By reason of weird translation, many such sets of instructions read like poems anyhow.
Brian Ferneyhough

And the old Italian saying:
Traduttore, traditore.

Cheers,

Rosina

Hi Rosina,

Do you know who said that orignally:
"Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful."
As far as I know Yevgeny Yevtushenko only cited these words. Can you name the person who said that originally?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback

Thanks,
Zuzan

quotes Nov 4, 2013

Hi, Mariana
I am also interesting in quotes and here is mine:
“Writers make national literature, while translators make universal literature.” José Saramago
"All meanings, we know, depend on the key of interpretation" George Eliot
"Translation is not a matter of words only: it is a matter of making intelligible a whole culture." Anthony Burgess
"If the dream is a translation of waking life, waking life is also a translation of the dream." Rene Magritte
"
... See more
Hi, Mariana
I am also interesting in quotes and here is mine:
“Writers make national literature, while translators make universal literature.” José Saramago
"All meanings, we know, depend on the key of interpretation" George Eliot
"Translation is not a matter of words only: it is a matter of making intelligible a whole culture." Anthony Burgess
"If the dream is a translation of waking life, waking life is also a translation of the dream." Rene Magritte
"Translation is entirely mysterious. Increasingly I have felt that the art of writing is itself translating, or more like translating than it is like anything else. What is the other text, the original? I have no answer. I suppose it is the source, the deep sea where ideas swim, and one catches them in nets of words and swings them shining into the boat … where in this metaphor they die and get canned and eaten in sandwiches." Ursula K. Le Guin
mariana24 wrote:

Hi All,

I've been looking for good quotes on translation on the internet and have found a few very good ones, some were known to me, some were not. Here go a few of the ones I liked, please add any you like.

The original is unfaithful to the translation. Jorge Luis Borges

Translation is the art of failure. Umberto Eco

Fantastic writing in English is kind of disreputable, but fantastic writing in translation is the summit. Jonathan Lethem

The translation is not translation, he said, unless it will give you the music of a poem along with the words of it. Millington Synge

Cheers,

Mariana
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good quotes on translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »