Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Германия
Local time: 16:09
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Mar 23, 2010

Hello,

I want to get my homepage up and running and am looking for a suitable webhoster now. One of my main problems is that I have no idea how much webspace I will need and how much traffic there will be. I don't plan to use any fancy applications, for starters I want to present myself and my company with a couple of texts and a couple of picture.

The costs vary considerably, so any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Maria

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 09:09
итальянский => английский
+ ...
There are so many cheap host providers... Mar 23, 2010

Most of them offer a ridiculous amount of space that you would never use up.

Some things to consider:

Search for them online and see what type of comments people have about them. You're bound to find both good and bad reviews of most providers, so weigh the comments. Look at how they provide support to their customers.

Do you plan on having them host your mail too? Make sure that their mail service is reliable and supports the type of email access you wan
... See more
Most of them offer a ridiculous amount of space that you would never use up.

Some things to consider:

Search for them online and see what type of comments people have about them. You're bound to find both good and bad reviews of most providers, so weigh the comments. Look at how they provide support to their customers.

Do you plan on having them host your mail too? Make sure that their mail service is reliable and supports the type of email access you want to use, such as imap, pop or web access. It's most likely the primary means of communication for you once your site is set up.

You may find that some providers offer ready-made packages for content management, databases, blogs, etc. Although you might not be interested in these at the moment, it's nice to have these types of things available. Over time, I ended up using a document management system that they offered to all their customers, as well as invoicing software. The better providers will offer click-to-install software, usually through something like cPanel or some other customer portal.

Having said that, my provider offers 750G (yes, that's gig) of space, the same in bandwidth (I very rarely top 1G in a month), ftp access, statistics on traffic/usage, backups, among other things.

I wouldn't worry about where the provider is physically located. Mine is located half way around the world and I've never had a problem with access or communication with them.

There are many other things you might want to consider, but these are what have proven to be important to me.

Feel free to contact me privately if you're interested in my provider's specifics.

R.
==
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 15:09
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => польский
+ ...
ЛОКАЛИЗАТОР САЙТА
pay more attention to transfer than to space Mar 23, 2010

I would say that when it comes to space (excluding email account) anything from 1 GB up would be fine (probably much less but you always may want to upload there some programs, use it as an ftp account for storing some extra files, etc.

When it comes to transfer - 1 GB a month should be fine, just in case you may want to go for something closer to 5 GB.

Good luck!
S

[Edited at 2010-03-23 20:34 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Испания
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
Go for the cheapest option Mar 23, 2010

Unless you want to run big hosted applications, and I think you don't need that at the moment, simply go for the cheapest option. You can always upgrade the service with your ISP or move to another ISP whenever you want! What you don't need is useless space and power, but cost-effectiveness.

For a simple website with some text and 20 big pictures, all the hosting space you will need is something in the range from 20-30 MB. You can get really affordable web hosting for that size. My
... See more
Unless you want to run big hosted applications, and I think you don't need that at the moment, simply go for the cheapest option. You can always upgrade the service with your ISP or move to another ISP whenever you want! What you don't need is useless space and power, but cost-effectiveness.

For a simple website with some text and 20 big pictures, all the hosting space you will need is something in the range from 20-30 MB. You can get really affordable web hosting for that size. My ISP for instance (email me via Proz.com if you are interested) offers a 500-MB option (with a ton of email accounts and all) for euros 52 a year, and they are really reliable and responsive, compared to other ISPs I've had.

Even if you pay for your own .com domain (or any other kind of global or national domain), you can easily port it to the next ISP if you decide your ISP does not provide a good service.
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 15:09
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => польский
+ ...
ЛОКАЛИЗАТОР САЙТА
And don't go for the cheapest option Mar 23, 2010

You can compromise on available space but you certainly won;t your site to be available all the time and with a cheap provider you may expect interruptions ever second day or so. Unbelievably annoying!

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Испания
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
Go for the cheapest product of a good ISP Mar 24, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:
You can compromise on available space but you certainly won;t your site to be available all the time and with a cheap provider you may expect interruptions ever second day or so. Unbelievably annoying!

OK, I should have been more specific: I should have said: "Go for the cheapest option of a good ISP".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => африкаанс
+ ...
Go for the cheapest option Mar 24, 2010

Maria Bruessler wrote:
I want to get my homepage up and running and am looking for a suitable webhoster now. One of my main problems is that I have no idea how much webspace I will need and how much traffic there will be.

The amount of traffic is related to the size of the stuff on your web site that people will most often download (or visit). So if you have a web site with just two or three medium sized photos (50 kb each), perhaps a logo or background image (50 kb each) and the web pages themselves (50 kb each), you really don't need more than 10 MB of space and 1 GB of transfer. But... having 100 MB of space can be useful if you want to store stuff temporarily on your web site (sometimes in a hidden or password protected folder, sometimes not).

I'd say, go for the cheapest option that gives you at least 100 MB of space and 1 GB of transfer, and try to get one that uses a control panel like Cpanel or Webplication.

I use the "Mini City" plan here:
http://www.siteocity.com/city.html
for USD 23 per year.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Финляндия
Local time: 17:09
Член ProZ.com c 2003
финский => немецкий
+ ...
Why not proz hosting? Mar 24, 2010

You are a member and can use the hosting at Proz.com for free. The hosting is one of the reasons I pay my membership. You get max. 250 Mb for your files and the bandwidth is 4 Gb monthly. I have a lot of traffic but get along with a quarter of that bandwidth.

Regards

Heinrich

Испания
Член ProZ.com c 2005
английский => испанский
+ ...
Can you use Proz with your own domain name? Mar 24, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Why not proz hosting?

Unless you can use Proz's hosting with your own domain name, I don't think it is a serious long-term solution. To me, it looks a lot more professional to use your own domain name, with the name of your service, team, or company.

Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Германия
английский => немецкий
+ ...
Автор темы
Yes, you can use your own domain name Mar 24, 2010

I looked into Proz hosting and read that it is possible to use your own domain name. However, recently I noticed that messages I send through Proz take several hours to get to the recipient. This keeps me from using Proz since the mail feature is likely to be very important as Rick pointed out.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, now I've got a much better idea about what I'll actually need. I think I might go for "the cheapest good ISP" as Tomás said and make sure I can easily
... See more
I looked into Proz hosting and read that it is possible to use your own domain name. However, recently I noticed that messages I send through Proz take several hours to get to the recipient. This keeps me from using Proz since the mail feature is likely to be very important as Rick pointed out.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, now I've got a much better idea about what I'll actually need. I think I might go for "the cheapest good ISP" as Tomás said and make sure I can easily expand the site.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Испания
Член ProZ.com
английский => французский
Proz.com hosting with my own domain name Mar 24, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Unless you can use Proz's hosting with your own domain name, I don't think it is a serious long-term solution. To me, it looks a lot more professional to use your own domain name, with the name of your service, team, or company.

As a member, I am entitled to 100MB of space and 1GB of monthly transfer. So far I have always had ample spare space to load large files on ftp for customers, while having a home-brewed, bad and seldom visited website of a few pages with my own domain name.
The service is down maybe once a year on average, but proz users are quick to report any problem to the site staff.

More on hosting here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=host/info

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much webspace for a homepage?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »