Only Corporate members may post in this forum

What are the Translation business like during the holidays?
Thread poster: Emma Oskarsson
Emma Oskarsson
Emma Oskarsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:05
Member (2022)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2023

Hi, I hope I added this under the right topic, so many to choose from!

I am wondering, as a somewhat new translator,
what the holidays tend to look like business inflow-wise.

I have mostly been working with general translation and MPTE before,
and I would say that there are jobs during the holidays, but few and far in between.
This last year I have been doing subtitling, and I have no idea how well this business does during the summertime.... See more
Hi, I hope I added this under the right topic, so many to choose from!

I am wondering, as a somewhat new translator,
what the holidays tend to look like business inflow-wise.

I have mostly been working with general translation and MPTE before,
and I would say that there are jobs during the holidays, but few and far in between.
This last year I have been doing subtitling, and I have no idea how well this business does during the summertime.

I should mention that I translate from Swedish to English and back, so not a huge, well-known language to begin with.

Is it worth it to stay alert during the holidays, or take up another holiday job and/or take a vacation yourself?

Thank you!
Emma
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Emma Mar 31, 2023

As everything else related to translation, it depends. I work straight through the year. I used to take a month-long vacation when my children were still at home, but those days are long gone. As most of my peers take summer vacations, occasionally I find myself overloaded with work. Some years ago (probably 10), July and August were my busiest months EVER…

[Edited at 2023-03-31 16:03 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Dan Lucas
Philippe Etienne

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Emma Mar 31, 2023

Just like the weather, it can be a good summer, it can be a bad summer (or winter for that respect).

What I want to say, is that I have been (very) busy during holiday periods and vice versa. It is a 'surprise' each year.

Philippe Etienne
Kevin Fulton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert Mar 31, 2023

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Just like the weather, it can be a good summer, it can be a bad summer.

It depends where you live. I lived in Belgium for 30 years so I know what you’re talking about, but here in Portugal weather is rather good all year round, but specially during the summer months where temperatures range anywhere from 18°C to 30°C and more. Last year it went up to 47°C in some places…

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I know Mar 31, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Just like the weather, it can be a good summer, it can be a bad summer.

It depends where you live. I lived in Belgium for 30 years so I know what you’re talking about, but here in Portugal weather is rather good all year round, but specially during the summer months where temperatures range anywhere from 18°C to 30°C and more. Last year it went up to 47°C in some places…

I also lived in Portugal for a year, but wasn't a translator then, so I wouldn't know.

I take it you got my drift, but to be on the safe side, I meant the weather as a comparison, because that is how I experience the holiday period.

And Emma is from Sweden.

[Edited at 2023-03-31 17:14 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Swedish Mar 31, 2023

Professional translators in that language pair are busy all year round, although Swedish clients are naturally quieter over the summer.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
"holidays" Apr 1, 2023

"The holidays" means different things to different people. In the US, "the holidays" has replaced "Christmas". But it could also mean Ramadan, the upcoming Western Easter, Passover and then Orthodox Easter. In Japan, don't expect to get much done from mid-December through the first week of January ("nenmatsu-nenshi"). I have one Israeli client (for Russian) who seems to be quite busy despite the continuing demonstrations and upcoming Passover.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What are the Translation business like during the holidays?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »