Tax status working with a partner in France
Thread poster: Meesh (X)
Meesh (X)
Meesh (X)
Local time: 10:58
French to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2004

My partner and I have recently moved to France and we are both working as freelance translators. We need to declare ourselves to URSAFF but we don't know if we're defined as two individuals or a company for tax purposes. We do have separate clients but we also share one of our clients and we have a joint bank account which they pay into. We obviously want to do whatever will be most profitable for us both now and in the future if we want to expand. We're rather confused by all the statut juridiq... See more
My partner and I have recently moved to France and we are both working as freelance translators. We need to declare ourselves to URSAFF but we don't know if we're defined as two individuals or a company for tax purposes. We do have separate clients but we also share one of our clients and we have a joint bank account which they pay into. We obviously want to do whatever will be most profitable for us both now and in the future if we want to expand. We're rather confused by all the statut juridique and régime fiscal information because we don't really seem to fit into any of these categories. Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? We would be extremely grateful for any advice.Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
French to English
Useful book Apr 16, 2004

I found it quite difficult to decide whether to become self-employed or a one-man company when I first started in France (I'm back in England now, though).
There's not much info on the web.
However, I found a book which I think is extremely useful: "S'installer a son compte", by Christian Cesbron and Anne-Laure Sterin, pub by Delmas. It describes all the possible options, pros and cons and consequences. I think it was about 30 euros, but it's worth its weight in gold.

... See more
I found it quite difficult to decide whether to become self-employed or a one-man company when I first started in France (I'm back in England now, though).
There's not much info on the web.
However, I found a book which I think is extremely useful: "S'installer a son compte", by Christian Cesbron and Anne-Laure Sterin, pub by Delmas. It describes all the possible options, pros and cons and consequences. I think it was about 30 euros, but it's worth its weight in gold.

FWIW, my immediate reaction is that you should both just separately register as "profession liberale". The administrative burden will be considerably lighter. Don't let URSSAF tell you that you can't do that if you work for agencies - that's nonsense.

Well, good luck anyway,
Charlie
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
See an accountant and your local Apr 16, 2004

Hello Meesh.

I would encourage you to see an accountant for an initial consultation.

The accountant will be able to give you various scenarios (BNC, SARL, etc.) depending on your volume of business and general situation. Then you can choose the most profitable way to set up your business.

You should probably be keeping separate bank accounts to facilitate bookkeeping. In any case don't use your personal bank account for business, which could expose you to p
... See more
Hello Meesh.

I would encourage you to see an accountant for an initial consultation.

The accountant will be able to give you various scenarios (BNC, SARL, etc.) depending on your volume of business and general situation. Then you can choose the most profitable way to set up your business.

You should probably be keeping separate bank accounts to facilitate bookkeeping. In any case don't use your personal bank account for business, which could expose you to problems in the event of an audit.

Your local centre de gestion should also be able to advise you and provide training.

Good luck!
Sara

[Edited at 2004-04-16 06:18]
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
have a look at http://www.apce.com Apr 16, 2004

It's the website of the "Agence pour la création d'entreprise"

very usefull and well documented without legal jargon and always updated.
You can subscribe to their free newsletter.

They also give all adresses for local URSSAFF and other offices.

Bonne chance !!

Marie SERRA (X)
Marie SERRA (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
URSSAF Apr 20, 2004

Hello,
excuse my english, i am not working with this language.
If you choose to work as an independent, profession libérale:
Contact and make an appointment with someone at the URSSAF;
Be carefull to have 2 different bank accounts (you and your friend), and another one for your "non-work life";
Be a member of the SFT (Société/Syndicat Français des Traducteurs): www.sft.fr
Registe
... See more
Hello,
excuse my english, i am not working with this language.
If you choose to work as an independent, profession libérale:
Contact and make an appointment with someone at the URSSAF;
Be carefull to have 2 different bank accounts (you and your friend), and another one for your "non-work life";
Be a member of the SFT (Société/Syndicat Français des Traducteurs): www.sft.fr
Register to an AGA (Association Agréée de Gestion)
and as said already, find a accountant: you will need to have this part of the job done by a french profi.
Good luck
Marie Serra
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tax status working with a partner in France

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »