Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there an alternative method for Ctrl+Alt+End?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 14, 2015

In order to save the translated segments to the TM and close the file we are supposed to press (Ctrl+Alt+End). However on my new Lanovo (11.6 inch laptop) there is no independent "end" key on the key board. End and Pgdn are on the same key.

Is there any other combination I can use other than Ctrl+Alt+End for the same purpose?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jane Nizi
Jane Nizi
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:43
Italian to English
Preferences Sep 14, 2015

Hello,
Have you tried going to Edit > Preferences > Keys and changing the shortcut key for this command?
Best,
Jane

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for providing the hint Sep 14, 2015

But I wouldn't change the default command that has been pre-set by WFP, because doing so may affect other commands. I mean, in changing a default command, I might accidentally delete other default commands without fulfilling my purpose.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFP or WFC? Sep 14, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:
In order to save the translated segments to the TM and close the file we are supposed to press (Ctrl+Alt+End).

WFP or WFC?

Which Lenovo do you have (I want to look at its keyboard).

Jane Nizi
Jane Nizi
United Kingdom
Italian to English
No problem Sep 14, 2015

You're more than welcome.
I'm not sure what to suggest, I am by no means a Wordfast expert.
I use Wordfast Pro and there is a button on the toolbar for this command, but I don't think there are any other shortcut buttons or combinations by default.
Maybe someone else will come to your rescue though! Best of luck
Jane

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Samuel Sep 14, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:
In order to save the translated segments to the TM and close the file we are supposed to press (Ctrl+Alt+End).

WFP or WFC?

Which Lenovo do you have (I want to look at its keyboard).

It is WFP. The laptop is Lenovo FLEX 3.

Thank you in advance.

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You have already been very helpful Sep 14, 2015

Jane Ledlie wrote:

I use Wordfast Pro and there is a button on the toolbar for this command, but I don't think there are any other shortcut buttons or combinations by default.
Jane

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Fn key ? Sep 14, 2015

Not sure about it, but you should have a Fn key somewhere which toggles the functions?

Just look in the user's manual.

Good luck!

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 10:43
Conflicts Sep 14, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

Jane Ledlie wrote:

Jane

In Shortcut Keys Preferences window you have Conflicts pane where it shows conflicts on your new bindings. So it will help that you don't affect any other shortcut while changing to user defined bindings.

Hope this helps

John

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Click the icon? Sep 15, 2015

I have a similar problem with my laptop that doesn't have an "end" key. Most of the time, I use an external keyboard with my laptop because I don't like using that tiny laptop keyboard anyway, but on the rare occasions when I don't have my external keyboard with me, I just use the menu icons for functions that require the "end" key. It's not a shortcut that I use very often, so it doesn't bother me to use the mouse every once in a while.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
With the Fn key Sep 15, 2015

On my Toshiba laptop computer there is one key (on the right, 2nd-lowest row) that is normally PgDn, but is End when used together with the Fn key. The answer may be that the equivalent of Ctrl+Alt+End is simply Ctrl+Alt+Fn+End.

Like Lori, I wasn't even aware of this potential problem because I never use the laptop's own keyboard - I always use a separate plug-in keyboard and it has a separate End key.
(It's a Labtech "Ultra flat" keyboard, which I bought partly because I find
... See more
On my Toshiba laptop computer there is one key (on the right, 2nd-lowest row) that is normally PgDn, but is End when used together with the Fn key. The answer may be that the equivalent of Ctrl+Alt+End is simply Ctrl+Alt+Fn+End.

Like Lori, I wasn't even aware of this potential problem because I never use the laptop's own keyboard - I always use a separate plug-in keyboard and it has a separate End key.
(It's a Labtech "Ultra flat" keyboard, which I bought partly because I find its keys easier to use and partly because it has a separate numeric keypad, which makes it easier to type accented letters (in German & French).
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jyuan Sep 15, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:
In order to save the translated segments to the TM and close the file we are supposed to press (Ctrl+Alt+End). However on my new Lanovo (11.6 inch laptop) there is no independent "End" key on the keyboard. End and Pgdn are on the same key.

On this image it looks as if End and Down Arrow are on the same key:

... but I realise that keyboard layouts can differ, depending on where you bought the laptop. The fact is that you have to press the Fn key together with the Down Arrow key to get "End".

I have had a similar problem with a laptop, while using WFC, in that keyboard combinations with the Fn key didn't work. Fn+Alt+key worked, and Fn+Ctrl+key worked, but Fn+Alt+Ctrl+key didn't. So the question is... does Fn+Alt+Ctrl+Down arrow work for you? If not, then I'm afraid your options have been mentioned:

* Use an icon (it's the one that looks like a Lego man's white space helmet, with a green + on it)
* Use the menu (Alt+M, then Up Arrow x 4, then Enter)
* Use the menu (Alt+M, then C x 4, then Enter)
* Add a keyboard shortcut.

I'm not sure how to add shortcuts to WFP, though. I tried adding some shortcuts, but they don't seem to stick. Also, there is a conflicts window, but it doesn't show any conflicts if I deliberately add conflicting shortcuts. Perhaps ask a new question: how to add shortcuts to WFP.

[Edited at 2015-09-15 11:28 GMT]

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel Sep 15, 2015

Thank you for the keyboard image. The only difference of my keyboard is that o mine, PgUp and Home are on the same key, PgDn and End are on the same key.

I tried several ways you have pointed out and other colleagues have recommended and my PC didn't respond to them.

I guess I will click on the icon on the menu as pointed out by Lori for the time being. Thank you Lori for reminding us about it.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
ALT-F12 Sep 15, 2015

This thread reminds me that the ALT-F12 combination (in WFC) to paste something from context search into the open segment doesn't work on my laptop keyboard either. I use ALT-F12 more often than "end" combinations and the workaround is more complicated because there is no icon to click that does the same job...

My next laptop will definitely have a full keyboard! Or maybe not... my previous laptop had a full keyboard which was nice but it was too heavy for travel, so now I have a
... See more
This thread reminds me that the ALT-F12 combination (in WFC) to paste something from context search into the open segment doesn't work on my laptop keyboard either. I use ALT-F12 more often than "end" combinations and the workaround is more complicated because there is no icon to click that does the same job...

My next laptop will definitely have a full keyboard! Or maybe not... my previous laptop had a full keyboard which was nice but it was too heavy for travel, so now I have a much smaller/lighter laptop. Maybe I just need a more portable keyboard in the future, one that fits easily into carry-on luggage!
Collapse

riolita
riolita
Peru
If you are using CHROME in a laptop without the "END" key; try: Ctrl+Fn+ArrowRight =) Oct 24, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:

In order to save the translated segments to the TM and close the file we are supposed to press (Ctrl+Alt+End). However on my new Lanovo (11.6 inch laptop) there is no independent "end" key on the key board. End and Pgdn are on the same key.

Is there any other combination I can use other than Ctrl+Alt+End for the same purpose?

Thank you in advance for your help.

If you are using CHROME in a laptop without the "END" key; try: Ctrl+Fn+ArrowRight (to go bottom page) and Ctrl+Fn+ArrowLeft (to go top page)

Surya Situngkir

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an alternative method for Ctrl+Alt+End?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »