Payment method - Tipalti
Thread poster: Jasna Matek
Jasna Matek
Jasna Matek
Croatia
Local time: 20:00
English to Croatian
Apr 3, 2021

Hello everyone, does anyone use Tipalti?

I've signed with an agency that offers Tipalti or PayPal for payment and I'd just like to know first-hand how it works from translator's point of view and how it compares to PayPal, which one is more cost-effective when it comes to transactions, conversions etc.

Thanks

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Tipalti? Apr 5, 2021

Never heard of it! Some of my clients (non-EU) pay me through Transferwise (now called Wise). You don’t need to open an account to receive payment as it goes directly to your bank account. I only opened an account to send money to my daughter who’s living in Mexico and I paid a small fee. I can’t remember exactly how much but it was far less than it would be through my bank and my daughter got the money she needed the next day…

John Fossey
Mohamad Alayoubi
bris97
Bajram Djambazi
Philip Lees

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:00
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kind of like a direct deposit system Apr 5, 2021

A client of mine uses Tipalti: what it does is allow the client to make the funds available to you and then you can select how you want to "withdraw" them to your account. It allows you link a bank account directly, though if your client is in another country you may end up paying steep wire transfer rates and/or currency conversion fees. The amount is deposited directly into your account.

Like Teresa, I also prefer to use Transferwise for as much as possible since it transfers mone
... See more
A client of mine uses Tipalti: what it does is allow the client to make the funds available to you and then you can select how you want to "withdraw" them to your account. It allows you link a bank account directly, though if your client is in another country you may end up paying steep wire transfer rates and/or currency conversion fees. The amount is deposited directly into your account.

Like Teresa, I also prefer to use Transferwise for as much as possible since it transfers money at low fees and uses a better conversion rate than banks or PayPal. What I did was to enter my Transferwise account details into my client's Tipalti platform, and the money makes its way directly to my Transferwise account.
Collapse

Jasna Matek
Jasna Matek
Croatia
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
You win some, you lose some Apr 5, 2021

Hi Teresa, hi Adam, thank you so much for replying!

I've never used Transferwise either, but I've seen it listed among payment methods.

So, the money goes to your Wise account and then to your bank account, correct?
Adam, I suppose and hope Tipalti is free for you? You don't have to pay those $299 per month, do you?

I've opted for PayPal for now, but when I start a sole proprietorship, I suppose that would be the worst option due to high fees and horr
... See more
Hi Teresa, hi Adam, thank you so much for replying!

I've never used Transferwise either, but I've seen it listed among payment methods.

So, the money goes to your Wise account and then to your bank account, correct?
Adam, I suppose and hope Tipalti is free for you? You don't have to pay those $299 per month, do you?

I've opted for PayPal for now, but when I start a sole proprietorship, I suppose that would be the worst option due to high fees and horrible conversion rates. Right now, I can transfer money to my bank account in USD, but as a sole proprietor it would need to be converted into my local currency.

To be honest, I think it's probably all the same. I can't win either way
Collapse

Adam Dickinson
Canada
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, it's free Apr 6, 2021

Yup! I've never had to pay for it. I suppose that it's worthwhile for clients who have to pay a lot of people in different countries, since it automates the process.

Transferwise may be able to help in your case. What you'd do is open an account to receive the USD, and then set up a transfer to your local account in your currency. I've never transferred to anyone in kuna (assuming you're in Croatia), but according to their site it's one of the currencies they support.

Jasna Matek
Jasna Matek
Croatia
English to Croatian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 6, 2021

Great, thank you very much. I'll try that

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:00
English to Turkish
About Tipalti Oct 7, 2021

Hi Jasna,
I seem to have the same problem as you did. I'm dealing with an agency (perhaps the same agency?) that offers Tipalti and Paypal as the only payment options. I wonder what you did next?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to connect my USD ACH account (either Payoneer or Wise) with Tipalti, but it seems that once I've entered my address in Turkey, I'm only supposed to enter a Turkish IBAN number. I wonder if that's the case with you or others (living in Europe and elsewhere) who
... See more
Hi Jasna,
I seem to have the same problem as you did. I'm dealing with an agency (perhaps the same agency?) that offers Tipalti and Paypal as the only payment options. I wonder what you did next?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to connect my USD ACH account (either Payoneer or Wise) with Tipalti, but it seems that once I've entered my address in Turkey, I'm only supposed to enter a Turkish IBAN number. I wonder if that's the case with you or others (living in Europe and elsewhere) who wish to receive USD payments from North America? Is there any way to get around this (meaning, avoiding entering your local bank details and thereby losing lots of money in international wire transfer, if that makes sense)?
Collapse

Adam Dickinson
Canada
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Easy to resolve Oct 8, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Hi Jasna,
Ideally, I'd like to be able to connect my USD ACH account (either Payoneer or Wise) with Tipalti, but it seems that once I've entered my address in Turkey, I'm only supposed to enter a Turkish IBAN number. I wonder if that's the case with you or others (living in Europe and elsewhere) who wish to receive USD payments from North America? Is there any way to get around this (meaning, avoiding entering your local bank details and thereby losing lots of money in international wire transfer, if that makes sense)?

I had the same issue - client in the US switched to Tipalti, and when I tried to enter my US Wise account it wouldn't let me because it expected a Canadian bank. I got in touch with my client who was able to implement a change on their end to allow users to enter payment methods with addresses not in their home country. It was pretty quick, as I recall, I think it might just be a matter of changing a default setting in the program.

Baran Keki

nemunoki
nemunoki
United Kingdom
Tipalti Again Mar 23, 2022

Hi Jasna and Adam,

I have come across this exact same problem, I am based in the UK and have been getting paid in US dollars on my TransferWise account. I have just been told the payments are going to go through Tipalti.

I was wondering if you resolved your issue, Jasna, with Adam's advice?

Also, Adam, can I check that once the client had altered the settings, you could enter your home address, and then you were given the option of entering US bank details
... See more
Hi Jasna and Adam,

I have come across this exact same problem, I am based in the UK and have been getting paid in US dollars on my TransferWise account. I have just been told the payments are going to go through Tipalti.

I was wondering if you resolved your issue, Jasna, with Adam's advice?

Also, Adam, can I check that once the client had altered the settings, you could enter your home address, and then you were given the option of entering US bank details (i.e. Wise details) but did not get prompted to choose a US tax form? Is this right?

Thanks,

Anushka
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment method - Tipalti

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »