Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for the info! Sep 18, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

1. Font size: I will check what I can do with font size. When the font size is large the popup can have too little room for longer sentences.

Thanks!

2. Long sentences: not sure. Maybe if you try again it will work.

I will keep testing, but it seems to be happening pretty consistently. This was using GT4T inside CafeTran. Today I will be using Felix (CAT tool), so will test in Word.

3. If you use ctrl+Win+j on source text, you can hold down ctrl and click an item to copy it to clipboard.

Interesting, thanks!

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
keyboard shortcut for "Simple Glossary" (Win+Ctrl+D) clashes with the Windows 10 KBS Sep 18, 2017

Hi Dalla,

It seems that the standard keyboard shortcut for "Simple Glossary" (Windows key + CTRL + D) clashes with the Windows 10 shortcut for Create new virtual desktop :-|

I tried to redefine it in GT4T, but it doesn't seem to be available among the options.

I'm also a bit confused. Which glossary does Ctrl+G actually query? An online dictionary? Google Translate? As far as I know, "Google Dictionary" is now dead, right? I keep trying to use the "Simple G
... See more
Hi Dalla,

It seems that the standard keyboard shortcut for "Simple Glossary" (Windows key + CTRL + D) clashes with the Windows 10 shortcut for Create new virtual desktop :-|

I tried to redefine it in GT4T, but it doesn't seem to be available among the options.

I'm also a bit confused. Which glossary does Ctrl+G actually query? An online dictionary? Google Translate? As far as I know, "Google Dictionary" is now dead, right? I keep trying to use the "Simple Glossary" keyboard shortcut, but can't, because it is reserved by Win10 for creating a new virtual desktop. However, I have added a few test terms to my Simple Glossary (the Excel file), and then try to find matches for them in a word doc using Ctrl+D, but GT4T keeps telling me: "No Translations Were Found". Is this because Ctrl+D only searches an online glossary?

NoTranslationsWereFound

[Edited at 2017-09-18 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Useful, but not a magic wand Sep 18, 2017

Jose Caceres wrote:

Yes. I have tried it. Around August I had a lot of tourism related material and I decided to give a try to Google Translator. To my surprise, it was rather good. Of course, it makes a lot of mistakes or gives a 180 degree turn to your phrase, but in all it is excellent. That is, if you know well the target language and can make the necessary changes. The best of it is that it gives interesting words and constructions which may not occur to you if you are overburdened with work or in a hurry. I'm using it frequently, particularly when the text does not require 100% accuracy, as would be a contract, but gives a certain leeway, as in tourism articles.

Same here. My only issue with it is the process for switching the licence when you need to change from one PC to another (I have 3 PCs and 2 or 3 laptops), which is less than instant. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use it on all my PCs without having to go through the current steps every time I have to change from one to another for whatever reason.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sort Sep 18, 2017

Hi Michael,

If you add to simple glossary manually through editing the excel file, you will have to 'sort' it after closing Excel. (Setup screen->Simple glossary->sort button or use the hotkey CTRL+ALT+F2)

Indeed CTRL+D is not a good choice as it collides with many programs. Google Dictionary is dead. It's amazing to see Google shuts down whatever it wants to. It even tried to shut down the Google Translate API. This makes Google unreliable. Who knows what it will shut
... See more
Hi Michael,

If you add to simple glossary manually through editing the excel file, you will have to 'sort' it after closing Excel. (Setup screen->Simple glossary->sort button or use the hotkey CTRL+ALT+F2)

Indeed CTRL+D is not a good choice as it collides with many programs. Google Dictionary is dead. It's amazing to see Google shuts down whatever it wants to. It even tried to shut down the Google Translate API. This makes Google unreliable. Who knows what it will shut down next. I will replace Google Translate with Linguee (a work in progress).

Dallas

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Hi Dalla,

I'm also a bit confused. Which glossary does Ctrl+G actually query? An online dictionary? Google Translate? As far as I know, "Google Dictionary" is now dead, right? I keep trying to use the "Simple Glossary" keyboard shortcut, but can't, because it is reserved by Win10 for creating a new virtual desktop. However, I have added a few test terms to my Simple Glossary (the Excel file), and then try to find matches for them in a word doc using Ctrl+D, but GT4T keeps telling me: "No Translations Were Found". Is this because Ctrl+D only searches an online glossary?

NoTranslationsWereFound

[Edited at 2017-09-18 09:22 GMT]
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
use character based plans Sep 18, 2017

Hi Neilmac,

With the new version you can activate up to 10 computer with the character based license. Then there will be no need to switch the license. For example, if you buy 150k characters and activate 5 computers, all those computers will use that 150k characters.

Dallas

neilmac wrote:

Jose Caceres wrote:

Yes. I have tried it. Around August I had a lot of tourism related material and I decided to give a try to Google Translator. To my surprise, it was rather good. Of course, it makes a lot of mistakes or gives a 180 degree turn to your phrase, but in all it is excellent. That is, if you know well the target language and can make the necessary changes. The best of it is that it gives interesting words and constructions which may not occur to you if you are overburdened with work or in a hurry. I'm using it frequently, particularly when the text does not require 100% accuracy, as would be a contract, but gives a certain leeway, as in tourism articles.

Same here. My only issue with it is the process for switching the licence when you need to change from one PC to another (I have 3 PCs and 2 or 3 laptops), which is less than instant. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use it on all my PCs without having to go through the current steps every time I have to change from one to another for whatever reason.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
change the shortcut? Sep 18, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

Indeed CTRL+D is not a good choice as it collides with many programs. Google Dictionary is dead. It's amazing to see Google shuts down whatever it wants to. It even tried to shut down the Google Translate API. This makes Google unreliable. Who knows what it will shut down next. I will replace Google Translate with Linguee (a work in progress).

Dallas

Hi Dalla,

NoTranslationsWereFound

Hi Dalla,

Can you maybe release a patch, so we can use a different keyboard shortcut to query the Simple Glossary? As things stand, I can't actually test or use it yet.

Michael

PS: yeah, Google are kind of scary. I am using Google Photos (among other Google products) at the moment, and hope they don't decide to ditch it any time soon

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
you can Sep 18, 2017

Hi Michael,

Single left click on the GT4T system tray icon, then 'hotkeys'->'redefine' the middle button
Press a new hot key for 'dictionary feature', for example, ctr+k.
Then the hotkey for simple glossary feature will be ctrl+win+k.
You can assign ctrl+k to simple glossary by select 'simple glossary' at 'simple glossary'->select a dictionary.

Dallas

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

Dallas

Hi Dalla,

NoTranslationsWereFound

Hi Dalla,

Can you maybe release a patch, so we can use a different keyboard shortcut to query the Simple Glossary? As things stand, I can't actually test or use it yet.

Michael

PS: yeah, Google are kind of scary. I am using Google Photos (among other Google products) at the moment, and hope they don't decide to ditch it any time soon

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ahaa! Sep 18, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

Single left click on the GT4T system tray icon, then 'hotkeys'->'redefine' the middle button
Press a new hot key for 'dictionary feature', for example, ctr+k.
Then the hotkey for simple glossary feature will be ctrl+win+k.
You can assign ctrl+k to simple glossary by select 'simple glossary' at 'simple glossary'->select a dictionary.

Dallas

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

Dallas

Hi Dalla,

NoTranslationsWereFound

Hi Dalla,

Michael

OK, so I got the shortcut working now, but … no matter how many times I add a term pair to my Simple Glossary, I keep getting:

NoTranslationsWereFound

I also ran Sort, and checked in the Excel file, and the term is there. Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Capture

PS: I am using Office 365 32-bit, on win10 home 64-bit

[Edited at 2017-09-18 14:19 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
DeepL seems to have some kind of maximum text length that it will accept. Sep 19, 2017

Hi Dallas,

Okay, so I figured out what is going on with the slightly longer segments, which are not being translated by GT4T. Because long segments are not being translated, I have resorted to copy/pasting them to the online interface (https://www.deepl.com/translator ), but soon noticed that they do not work there either. DeepL seems to have some kind of maximum text length that it will acc
... See more
Hi Dallas,

Okay, so I figured out what is going on with the slightly longer segments, which are not being translated by GT4T. Because long segments are not being translated, I have resorted to copy/pasting them to the online interface (https://www.deepl.com/translator ), but soon noticed that they do not work there either. DeepL seems to have some kind of maximum text length that it will accept.

I am currently solving this by splitting long segments into two pieces. Do you think it would be possible to implement this in GT4T. That is, if a segment is longer than X words, GT4T could send it in 2 pieces and reconstruct it before presenting it back to the user.
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Deepl and broken simple glossary Sep 19, 2017

Hi Michael,

I Just noticed I broke the Simple Glossary feature so you will be able to make it work. Sorry for this. I have fixt it. Please update GT4T again to test it out.

I will check out the DeepL char limit issue too. Can you email me an example of a long sentence?

Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Okay, so I figured out what is going on with the slightly longer segments, which are not being translated by GT4T. Because long segments are not being translated, I have resorted to copy/pasting them to the online interface (https://www.deepl.com/translator ), but soon noticed that they do not work there either. DeepL seems to have some kind of maximum text length that it will accept.

I am currently solving this by splitting long segments into two pieces. Do you think it would be possible to implement this in GT4T. That is, if a segment is longer than X words, GT4T could send it in 2 pieces and reconstruct it before presenting it back to the user.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wow, thanks! Sep 20, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

I Just noticed I broke the Simple Glossary feature so you will be able to make it work. Sorry for this. I have fixt it. Please update GT4T again to test it out.

I will check out the DeepL char limit issue too. Can you email me an example of a long sentence?

Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Cool, the Simple Glossary works now! Will try it out. Do you have any idea about the maximum glossary size that will works comfortably?

Here is an example of a segment that doesn't work because it's too long:

Opdrachtgever vrijwaart XXX voor vorderingen van derden wegens schade die veroorzaakt is doordat Opdrachtgever dan wel de onderzochte partij, niet zijnde Opdrachtgever, aan XXX onjuiste en/of onvolledige informatie heeft verstrekt, tenzij Opdrachtgever aantoont dat de schade geen verband houdt met verwijtbaar handelen of nalaten zijnerzijds respectievelijk de onderzochte derde partij, dan wel veroorzaakt is door opzet of grove schuld van XXX.

Shouguang Cao
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
works Sep 21, 2017

Hi Michael,

The long sentence works when I tried it, both on deepl website and in GT4T.
The Simple Glossary uses Excel file as database. Not sure how big can the file be. The feature is not fully tested and still has much room for improvement, e.g. fuzzy matches.

Dallas

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Cool, the Simple Glossary works now! Will try it out. Do you have any idea about the maximum glossary size that will works comfortably?

Opdrachtgever vrijwaart XXX voor vorderingen van derden wegens schade die veroorzaakt is doordat Opdrachtgever dan wel de onderzochte partij, niet zijnde Opdrachtgever, aan XXX onjuiste en/of onvolledige informatie heeft verstrekt, tenzij Opdrachtgever aantoont dat de schade geen verband houdt met verwijtbaar handelen of nalaten zijnerzijds respectievelijk de onderzochte derde partij, dan wel veroorzaakt is door opzet of grove schuld van XXX.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
query three MT engines simultaneously? Sep 21, 2017

Hi Dallas,

Any chance you will be adding the ability to query all three MT engines simultaneously? I would love to be able to see results for:

DeepL
Google Translate +
Microsoft Translator

...when pressing Ctrl+J

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 16:00
Don't forget Yandex Sep 22, 2017

Hi Dallas,

Any chance you will be adding the ability to query all three MT engines simultaneously? I would love to be able to see results for:

DeepL
Google Translate +
Microsoft Translator

...when pressing Ctrl+J

Yandex is very useful too.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
re long sentences Sep 22, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

The long sentence works when I tried it, both on deepL website and in GT4T.
The Simple Glossary uses Excel file as database. Not sure how big can the file be. The feature is not fully tested and still has much room for improvement, e.g. fuzzy matches.

Dallas

Shouguang Cao wrote:

Hi Michael,

Dallas

Hi Dallas,

OK. I will keep testing.

Could it be that GT4T has a system in place that stops the same text from being sent more than once? I seem to remember that a number of CAT tools have something like this, to help you save money. If it has such a system, perhaps in each case, I had inadvertently already sent the source text, and so was trying to send it a second time.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GT4T

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »