Sandra

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
Memsource Apr 20, 2018

I agree with Michael Beijer. Memsource Editor (the desktop version) is by far the easiest and most intuitive tool I've seen for a beginner with very few distractions. It also operates very similarly to Trados/MemoQ, so it lessens the adjustment needed if and when you move on to a more full-featured tool.

OmegaT is not complicated by any means, but it can take a certain degree of IT literacy to get set up.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Life's too short, so better use a CAT tool Apr 20, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

More recently I have considered other CATS but I've decided against them because I clone my hard drive every day and, as I understand it, cloning would invalidate my licence.

There are CAT tools that run in a web browser*) (like Safari on Mac) or are activated once a day via the internet (CafeTran Espresso 2018). No problem with licenses here.

Anyway life's too short, I'm too busy, and all CATs require a learning curve.

Nothing to be afraid of or to exaggerate. You can start translating documents with a simple structure and formatting in 5 minutes.

*) I don't want to place my TMs or glossaries in someone's online CAT system. I prefer to keep everything local on my Mac.

Perhaps this can be an inspiration for you:
https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_inside_the_mind_of_a_master_procrastinator

Here's a nice graphic of how many time you have available in your life:

Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 09.09.01

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TED Apr 20, 2018

Thanks Hans, but I don't watch TED talks that tell me how to improve my life

Hans Lenting wrote:

There are CAT tools that run in a web browser*) (like Safari on Mac) or are activated once a day via the internet (CafeTran Espresso 2018). No problem with licenses here.

The CafeTran Espresso website says "a generous licensing approach allows you to buy once, but use on two computers". Not good enough for my purposes. I need to be able to clone, repeatedly. I assume the license data is stored on my hard drive, and becomes disabled if I clone that drive to somewhere else.

But thanks for the suggestion. Maybe if/when I have the time, I'll download the demo version of CafeTran Espresso, clone it a few times back and forth, and see what happens.

Nobody has responded to my point about TMs.

[Edited at 2018-04-20 08:14 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No obligation Apr 20, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Hans, but I don't watch TED talks that tell me how to improve my life

By all means, don't see this as an obligation. Since this could cause stress. It's just a friendly advice Tim gives here, in a very mild and humorous way.

The CafeTran Espresso website says "a generous licensing approach allows you to buy once, but use on two computers". Not good enough for my purposes. I need to be able to clone, repeatedly. I assume the license data is stored on my hard drive, and becomes disabled if I clone that drive to somewhere else.

Sorry for being unclear here: I was referring to the license that comes with the Proz Plus package. It's not stored on your computer and you can use it on as many computers as you want. Though probably not at the same time (never tested that). But hey, you have 2 hands only.

Just out of curiosity: Are you using all ten fingers of them to type?

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
A further question Apr 20, 2018

Are there any that are particularly good for translating into highly inflected languages such as Russian?

anna sherman
anna sherman
Israel
Local time: 15:08
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Each to their own Apr 20, 2018

So many men, so many opinions. I did not even think there would be so many suggestions and so many contrary opinions. Maybe, it is the answer: there is no good one CAT tool for everyone.
I did like the post of the Japanese translator. He is a wise many, no doubts. As for me, I also translate everything with the help of my BRAIN CAT tool.
Anyway... I understand there should be an easier way in the cases the text is repetitive. Well, I have installed Trados 2009 and OmegaT for now. <
... See more
So many men, so many opinions. I did not even think there would be so many suggestions and so many contrary opinions. Maybe, it is the answer: there is no good one CAT tool for everyone.
I did like the post of the Japanese translator. He is a wise many, no doubts. As for me, I also translate everything with the help of my BRAIN CAT tool.
Anyway... I understand there should be an easier way in the cases the text is repetitive. Well, I have installed Trados 2009 and OmegaT for now.
As for the doc formats, I get many files in PDF and even the original paper documents which have to be translated. To get a document in Word is a great luck! But it is not so often. I suppose one should be flexible. Maybe, it is right to go in several ways while translating? This time, for example, you use your head, next time, your use CAT tool, and so on.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Translating from paper Apr 20, 2018

anna sherman wrote:

As for the doc formats, I get many files in PDF and even the original paper documents which have to be translated. To get a document in Word is a great luck! But it is not so often. I suppose one should be flexible.

See: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000058166

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Apr 20, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

Just out of curiosity: Are you using all ten fingers of them to type?

I don't know what you mean by "ten fingers of them" but yes, I type with all ten fingers, although only when dictation doesn't work. Why are you asking?

[Edited at 2018-04-20 12:13 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Haha said the clone ( has the king lost his crown, etc.) Apr 21, 2018

Tom in London wrote:
I assume the license data is stored on my hard drive, and becomes disabled if I clone that drive to somewhere else.

Correct. Now I don't know what you clone, but I suppose it's both your Mac mini and your MBP, using the same back-up hard-disk. If you only clone one Mac, there won't be a problem: Just ask CafeTran's developer Igor to provide a license code for the back-up disk, and save it in an e-mail or a TextEdit file or something on the disk to be cloned so you'll have it ready if you have to use it as a boot disk. You're entitled to two codes, but if you explain to Igor what you want to do with two Macs, I bet he'll give you a third, "sleeping," code for the back-up disk. If not, you'll have to ask for one when you start using it, which may take a day.

Cheers,

Hans

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
whistling for a wind cloud Apr 21, 2018

And since when using a third-party remote storage and tools under third-party conditions is considered the best and easiest CAT for the newbie?

How it relates to the recent protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation)?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nope Apr 21, 2018

Sorry Hans but I can't do that.

My basic cloning routine is mainly for security purposes. Having recently witnessed a house fire near my house, in which the entire house and its contents were destroyed, I wondered what I would do if something similar happened to me. Similarly, in the event of a break-in and the theft of my computer, how would I get back in business ASAP?

That's one reason why I now keep a complete clone of my hard drive off site, in a different (secret)
... See more
Sorry Hans but I can't do that.

My basic cloning routine is mainly for security purposes. Having recently witnessed a house fire near my house, in which the entire house and its contents were destroyed, I wondered what I would do if something similar happened to me. Similarly, in the event of a break-in and the theft of my computer, how would I get back in business ASAP?

That's one reason why I now keep a complete clone of my hard drive off site, in a different (secret) location. Once a week I collect the cloned hard drive and replace with a second hard drive, which I've also been cloning every day.

I also keep another computer in the same remote location (again, cloned, although in this case I only clone to the computer once a month).

In other words I'm cloning all the time. I would be contacting Igor on a daily basis, and I don't want to be doing that.

[Edited at 2018-04-21 14:45 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:08
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please do not stray from the topic Apr 21, 2018

Hi folks,

May I remind you that the topic is about "the best and easiest CAT for the newbie" - in case you would like to discuss other things, please kindly open a new thread.

Thank you.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cloning Apr 22, 2018

Natalie wrote:

Hi folks,

May I remind you that the topic is about "the best and easiest CAT for the newbie" - in case you would like to discuss other things, please kindly open a new thread.

Thank you.

One of the matters under discussion here is the potential invalidation of a CAT tool licence as a result of cloning.

[Edited at 2018-04-22 06:35 GMT]

Andy Watkinson

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:08
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Russian etc. Apr 22, 2018

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Are there any that are particularly good for translating into highly inflected languages such as Russian?

I don't think that it makes any difference when you translate to Russian or a similar language. Translating from an inflective language is another thing. I recommend OmegaT for its set of tokenizers that help get better TM and glossary matches for inflected word forms.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the best and easiest CAT for the newbie

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »