Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:19
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Jean Apr 20, 2018

Jean,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such an informative message. I have heard of the other CAT tools you mention but will look into them further - as well as the trial version of TRADOS (good idea since it such an industry standard).

Thanks a lot also for the words of wisdom. I'm definitely careful not to work for rock bottom rates (I think, hard to gauge where the line is without experience). It's definitely balancing act between fair rates and getting tho
... See more
Jean,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such an informative message. I have heard of the other CAT tools you mention but will look into them further - as well as the trial version of TRADOS (good idea since it such an industry standard).

Thanks a lot also for the words of wisdom. I'm definitely careful not to work for rock bottom rates (I think, hard to gauge where the line is without experience). It's definitely balancing act between fair rates and getting those first assignments in.

Thanks again for all the input. It is much appreciated!

Greg
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No need for Trados Apr 21, 2018

Gregory Lassale wrote:
...as well as the trial version of TRADOS

If a client sends you SDLXLIFF files, there's no need for TRADOS. Just run CafeTran, the "DashBoard" will pop up, drop the SDLXLIFF file on the DashBoard, and start working. I've been translating hundreds of not thousands of TRADOS files in CafeTran on a Mac without problems since 2010, and the chances anything goes wrong are minimal/zero. It even handles "packages" correctly, opening the SDXLIFF in the CafeTran editor, and extracting the TM (SDLTM) automagically. In rare cases, the client may also send a termbase (SDLTB) which will require a minute or so to convert.

As far as I know (but Jean knows probably better), CafeTran can also calculate the TM breakdown. I never used it.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Apply the TM breakdown"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »