Thread poster: Hilary Ayer
Hilary Ayer
Hilary Ayer
Egypt
Local time: 23:13
Arabic to English
Sep 18, 2018

Hello fellow interpreters!

I am currently taking an interpreting course, and need to complete a "literature review" of all available work on some aspect of Ar-En and/or En-Ar interpreting. As a complete novice, I am posting here in hopes of benefiting from your experience. Here are my three questions:

1. What are some issues in Ar-En/En-Ar interpreting?

2. Can you suggest some scholarly resources on this topic (or any related sub-topic)?

3. I
... See more
Hello fellow interpreters!

I am currently taking an interpreting course, and need to complete a "literature review" of all available work on some aspect of Ar-En and/or En-Ar interpreting. As a complete novice, I am posting here in hopes of benefiting from your experience. Here are my three questions:

1. What are some issues in Ar-En/En-Ar interpreting?

2. Can you suggest some scholarly resources on this topic (or any related sub-topic)?

3. I am wondering if/when the dialects are used in interpreting. I would assume that MSA would be totally inappropriate in some settings, and completely expected in others. Would you consider this an "issue" in Ar-En/En-Ar interpretation? If so, please see question #2 above.

Thank you in advance!

Hilary
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 14:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
Details please, about your interesting request Sep 20, 2018

Greetings... ahalan wa sahalan…

Ref your interesting post here in the < proz.com > list.

Please send some details, especially about that scholarly search part, to me at < [email protected] >.

Can refer you to some Arabic-language materials on the topics of interpreting and translating, most of them used as classroom texts in courses taught at universities in GCC countries, Jordan, Lebanon and I
... See more
Greetings... ahalan wa sahalan…

Ref your interesting post here in the < proz.com > list.

Please send some details, especially about that scholarly search part, to me at < [email protected] >.

Can refer you to some Arabic-language materials on the topics of interpreting and translating, most of them used as classroom texts in courses taught at universities in GCC countries, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq which offer academic degree and/or professional certification programs for their nationals. Ein Shams U and AUC in Egypt may also be resources worth your checking.

Pleased to advise, assist and recommend as I can, including issues in interpreting, some on generic topics and others on specialized / technical / protocol topics.

Some factors in using a regional or "Local Dialect Arabic" (LDA) during an interpreting event include the subject matter, formality of the setting, and the background of the Arab interlocutor / participant(s).

Observation: In most instances, better to work in MSA, except for some medical appointments, as the attending relatives may not be fluent in MSA. With that, much pre-event preparation is required for interpreting a medical event, in terms of learning the relevant clinical subject and how to convert (ahem) "medical English" into "plain English" so you can then interpret into understandable, accurate and clear Arabic, i.e. MSA. (Encounter that often when supporting a specialized hospital which admits and treats children who present with diagnosed stages of cancer.)

Hope this helps, bidhin Allah. Today is Thursday, September 20, 2018.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro (Los Angeles Waterfront Area), California
Collapse

Hilary Ayer
Hilary Ayer
Egypt
Local time: 23:13
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Issues in Arabic Interpreting: Seeking ideas and sources Sep 24, 2018

Stephen,

Thank you for your reply (and apologies for my late response). I will contact you offline as you suggest.

Best,

Hilary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues in Arabic Interpreting: Seeking ideas and sources

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »