Veronique Haour
Veronique Haour  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:39
English to French
+ ...
Jul 6, 2017

Hello,
A client of mine recently requested that I provide a "certified translation" required by the General Teaching Council in Scotland. All I can provide is a translation certified by me (the usual "to the best of my knowledge and belief...") and notarized here in the U.S. (California) where I reside. I frankly wonder if a U.S. certification/notarization would be valid in Scotland. Can someone shed some on this topic for me?
Thanks in advance,
Véronique

Sue Stewart-Anderson (X)
Sue Stewart-Anderson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
See website info Jul 6, 2017

Hello from Scotland!

See this website

http://www.gtcs.org.uk/

What it says on certified translations:

If your documentation is in a language other than English, you must supply photocopies of this documentation in the original language and certified English translations. This does not apply to your passport.

A certified translation is prepared and c
... See more
Hello from Scotland!

See this website

http://www.gtcs.org.uk/

What it says on certified translations:

If your documentation is in a language other than English, you must supply photocopies of this documentation in the original language and certified English translations. This does not apply to your passport.

A certified translation is prepared and certified by an accredited translator. The Association of Translation Companies can provide information about translation companies.

...So if you are an 'accredited translator' (whatever that means) you can self-certify. In the UK, for example, Members of ITI can self-certify. Does that help?

[Edited at 2017-07-06 16:42 GMT]
Collapse

Veronique Haour
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certified documents for Scotland Jul 6, 2017

Thank you Sue! This is great. I am still wondering if being an "active" member of the ATA is enough to certify documents for Scotland? What do you think?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go for it Jul 8, 2017

Veronique Haour wrote:

I am still wondering if being an "active" member of the ATA is enough to certify documents for Scotland? What do you think?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I'd submit the application anyway. They are after all mere formalities. And personally, I have known some "certified" translators who couldn't translate their way out of a paper bag...

Veronique Haour
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Neil and Sue! Jul 13, 2017

I went ahead with the certification and it did work (to my own amazement). Seeing my reluctance to take on the job, my client sent me this interesting and edifying link: https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Certified translation for Scotland

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »