Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
German to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2017

Earlier today I received an email that I suppose was sent to many ProZ members because it was sent to me at an email address that I only use for ProZ. The subject was:
An imminent event is sending this stock price through the roof.

and it begins: "What if I told you that I know of a company that has actually found a cure for cancer."
and it ends:
"This is why I highly, highly recommend that you buy QSMG as soon as
you can today. Get in ahead of the herd."
... See more
Earlier today I received an email that I suppose was sent to many ProZ members because it was sent to me at an email address that I only use for ProZ. The subject was:
An imminent event is sending this stock price through the roof.

and it begins: "What if I told you that I know of a company that has actually found a cure for cancer."
and it ends:
"This is why I highly, highly recommend that you buy QSMG as soon as
you can today. Get in ahead of the herd."

A quick search of the web gave a result on a website called
http://www.thatsnonsense.com
which said (and it didn't surprise me):
"Email promoting Quest Management QSMG stock is a scam

April 11, 2017 by Craig Charles No Comments Yet

If you’ve received an email asking you to invest in stock called Quest Management (Symbol: QSMG) then before you get onto the phone with your broker, know that it’s part of something called a “pump and dump” scam."

This comment didn't surprise me.
I wonder whether you have comments on this or rushed out and bought the stock or decided quickly that it was some kind of scam.

FYI: from the IP address 103.221.71.28, it appears to have originated in India. (I examined the email header to find the originating IP address and then used http://en.utrace.de to tell me where that IP address is located.)

(I suppose it's possible my ProZ email address was used because it's on a list of email addresses used by spammers (I'm sure such lists exist), in which case not many of you will have received it).
Oliver
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
IGNORE IT Apr 13, 2017

Despite using spam filters at my server and at my desktop email client, I still get crap like that. Best is never to answer it (because it will confirm they have a working email address), send to Junk, delete regularly and never let this kind of email waste more of your time.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Mario Apr 13, 2017

Yes: as I sometimes say to people: Unfortunately, one's first reaction to any email must always be to ask "Is this really what it claims to be?". Looking convincing, with the logo of a bank or other company is no proof of validity.
Luckily (for me, at least, but apparently not to some people) I find it easy to recognise emails that are spam or phishing or have a virus in the attachment.
Sending a reply, even if it says "Don't send me such emails" should clearly not be done - the send
... See more
Yes: as I sometimes say to people: Unfortunately, one's first reaction to any email must always be to ask "Is this really what it claims to be?". Looking convincing, with the logo of a bank or other company is no proof of validity.
Luckily (for me, at least, but apparently not to some people) I find it easy to recognise emails that are spam or phishing or have a virus in the attachment.
Sending a reply, even if it says "Don't send me such emails" should clearly not be done - the sender should receive no proof that you exist!
Collapse

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:27
English to Catalan
+ ...
I got this too Apr 14, 2017

... and erased it right as it came.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I wonder why we were chosen to receive this email

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »