Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25] >
Off topic: 旅游见闻 Travel Broadens One's Mind
Thread poster: David Shen
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
Less attractive offer Nov 11, 2010

wherestip wrote:

On top of that, they are being offered credit for a free future cruise - all in all, not too bad for having to put up with some inconvenience and some Spam for dinner. I'd be there just for the excitement.

Well, yesterday it was said that the passengers will be offered a free future cruise. But today there seems to be some back-peddling - only a 25% discount on a future cruise will be offered. I guess the cruise line came to the realization that it wasn't all that bad an experience after all.

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:10
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Niagara Falls in November Nov 11, 2010

Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"The excitement" Nov 11, 2010

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

A vacation like that certainly would have been a harrowing experience.

Fortunately nobody got hurt. And on the bright side, not only are the passengers getting their money back, but all their ground transportation are being paid for by the cruise line. On top of that, they are being offered credit for a free future cruise - all in all, not too bad for having to put up with some inconvenience and some Spam for dinner. I'd be there just for the excitement.

Like you were telling me, the staff to passenger ratio is typically very high on these cruise liners. Indeed according to the news report, it was almost 1:3 for this Carnival Splendor.

Steve,

Yes, I could imagine the ordeals the passengers and crew members had to go through on the Carnival Splendor: no electricity, no hot water, no cooked food, no lighting, no air-conditioning, and the last but not the least, no Internet and cell phone services. (However, I decided not to use the Internet Café anyway when I was on the cruise ship Carnival Conquest! )

I was quite amused to learn that the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan stopped its training maneuvers and diverted to assist the stranded Carnival Splendor. Nevertheless, I would prefer the USS Ronald Reagan sailing for such a mission rather than sailing to Persian Gulf or Western Pacific.

Yes, the staff to passenger ratio is very high on those cruise liners. The Maître d' told me when we were on our cruise that there were about 3,000 passengers and 1,100 crew members aboard the Carnival Conquest. As I mentioned before, we had to cancel our calls to Montego Bay and Grand Cayman as the Mother Nature didn’t cooperate. As a compensation, we were also offered a 20% discount on a future cruise.

[Edited at 2010-11-11 18:25 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
American Consumers Nov 11, 2010

ysun wrote:

Steve,

Yes, I could imagine the ordeals the passengers and crew members had to go through on the Carnival Splendor: no electricity, no hot water, no cooked food, no lighting, no air-conditioning, and the last but not the least, no Internet and cell phone services. (However, I decided not to use the Internet Café anyway when I was on the cruise ship Carnival Conquest! )

I was quite amused to learn that the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan stopped its training maneuvers and diverted to assist the stranded Carnival Splendor. Nevertheless, I would prefer the USS Ronald Reagan sailing for such a mission rather than sailing to Persian Gulf or Western Pacific.

Yes, the staff to passenger ratio is very high on those cruise liners. The Maître d' told me when we were on our cruise that there were about 3,000 passengers and 1,100 crew members aboard the Carnival Conquest. As I mentioned before, we had to cancel our calls to Montego Bay and Grand Cayman as the Mother Nature didn’t cooperate. As a compensation, we were also offered a 20% discount on a future cruise.

Yueyin,

If it were me, just the chance to see an aircraft carrier the size of the USS Ronald Reagan would be worth the trip. Plus all those helicopters air-dropping supplies would have been a sight to see.

I was reading CNN's report on the incident. There were a lot of majorly pissed off passengers.

CNN's report still says the passengers are getting a free future cruise. So I went back and re-read the link you provided yesterday. Turns out I read it wrong. The 25% discount was for the passengers that booked the cruise originally scheduled to leave Long Beach on Nov.14, which had to be cancelled; it wasn't referring to the passengers who had to suffer through the ordeal. The latter will indeed get a free cruise at a later date.

Carnival late Tuesday also announced it is canceling the next voyage of the Carnival Splendor, which had been scheduled to begin on Nov. 14 in Long Beach, Calif.; passengers will receive a full refund plus a 25% discount on a future cruise.

American consumers are truly pampered.

When Zhoudan mentioned that she only had 15 days to return a defective product ordered online at Newegg.com, I checked out Joyo's return policy. Joyo is now a subsidiary of Amazon.com, BTW. They too had a 15-day limit. In comparison, Amazon.com has a very lenient return policy in the U.S. when it comes to defective products.

[Edited at 2010-11-11 23:02 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Pampered American Consumers Nov 11, 2010

Steve,

I know a lot of tax-payers are not happy about the peaceful mission of the USS Ronald Reagan conducted this time. It is said that it normally takes one million U.S. dollars per day to maintain operations on the USS Ronald Reagan. I am wondering if Carnival Company would pick up all the bills for the assistance the Carnival Splendor has received.

The offer of a free cruise for the passengers of the stranded Carnival Splendor and a 25% discount for the passenge
... See more
Steve,

I know a lot of tax-payers are not happy about the peaceful mission of the USS Ronald Reagan conducted this time. It is said that it normally takes one million U.S. dollars per day to maintain operations on the USS Ronald Reagan. I am wondering if Carnival Company would pick up all the bills for the assistance the Carnival Splendor has received.

The offer of a free cruise for the passengers of the stranded Carnival Splendor and a 25% discount for the passengers of the cancelled cruise sounds good. However, I doubt that the discount would ever be useful. Usually, the discount may not be combined with any other discounts or promotional rates, but the price we will get is often an already discounted price.

[Edited at 2010-11-12 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Unionville, Toronto Nov 13, 2010

Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Scents of Spring May 15, 2011

See more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvWhZ5k-uU

[修改时间: 2011-05-15 21:33 GMT]
Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Chihuly, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston May 20, 2011

See more

Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
CHIHULY May 21, 2011

See more

[修改时间: 2011-05-21 21:51 GMT]

[修改时间: 2011-05-21 21:52 GMT]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
会当凌绝顶,一览众山小 Jul 13, 2011

DSC03230

DSC03241

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak

在海拔14,110 feet (4,300 m) 的顶峰是什么感觉?请看这个:
http://www.china.com.cn/photochina/2011-06/22/content_22835604.htm

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Elevation 14,110 ft Jul 13, 2011

ysun wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak

在海拔14,110 feet (4,300 m) 的顶峰是什么感觉?

那海拔确实非常可观。

我网上查了一下,西宁也只不过 7,464 feet 左右, 兰州约 5,250 feet。67 年 串联时我去过西宁, 已经可感到空气稀薄。 陕北高原延安地区 3,000 ft 左右,我倒是无所谓。

珠穆朗玛峰 海拔约为 29,029 feet。西欧的最高点 Mont Blanc 约为 15,782 ft。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
高原反应 Jul 13, 2011

Steve,

虽然我曾在兰州居住过十几年,但从未感到过什么不适,只知道高压锅是生活必需品。那时侯我们常在周末去爬山,就是喜欢“一览众山小”的感觉。这次对高原反应总算有了些体会。由于缺氧,心跳明显加快。我也查了一下,此峰的高度已经高于拉萨(海拔约3700米,或12,000 ft)。至于珠穆朗玛峰上是什么感觉,那就更难以想象。我这辈子就没机会去体验了。�
... See more
Steve,

虽然我曾在兰州居住过十几年,但从未感到过什么不适,只知道高压锅是生活必需品。那时侯我们常在周末去爬山,就是喜欢“一览众山小”的感觉。这次对高原反应总算有了些体会。由于缺氧,心跳明显加快。我也查了一下,此峰的高度已经高于拉萨(海拔约3700米,或12,000 ft)。至于珠穆朗玛峰上是什么感觉,那就更难以想象。我这辈子就没机会去体验了。那些登山运动员以及在高原上长期驻守的边防战士确实很不容易。

Pikes Peak 的高度已经接近于 Rocky Mountains 的最高峰 Mt. Elbert (14,440 feet)。这是 Pikes Peak 半山腰的一个湖:

DSC03216

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Elbert
Mount Elbert is the second highest mountain in the contiguous United States, after Mount Whitney in California, and is only 65 feet (20 m) shorter than Whitney's 14,505 feet (4,421 m).
Collapse

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
新手跑来凑热闹 Aug 5, 2011

今天终于成为了proz 会员,挺高兴的,就跑来forum凑凑热闹。前提是我还是心眼比较小,付了partial会员费就完事了呵呵

大家放的照片都拍的很好,可以看出当时的旅行都是很愉快的吧。

看来pkchan前辈跟都是住在GTA区域的?本人住在scarborough,可并不太常去Unionville.

就旅游来说,我在欧洲混了三年,那个时候实在一穷二白,连hostel也没钱租住,一直都是couchsurf的。可幸的是从来没遇过什么麻烦,遇到的陌生人都是友好的不得。在这里强烈推荐一个旅游网站,virtualtourist.com。 非常好用的一个网站,差不多任何问题都有答案;比方说,你想去巴黎旅行,而你想知道从车站A步行到酒店B是上坡还是下坡路,也有人能给你解答。真的是很给力的一个网站,超好用而特适合背包客。

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Rita, 我們歡迎你。 Aug 5, 2011

很高興你有緣加入這個論壇/歌壇大家庭。是有些至親住在多倫多附近的城鎮,但我是在5湖之南的美東地區,定期會北上探親的。小袁是在較近的紐約,說要去探他,也說了好幾年了。有機會來一個網聚,是最好不過的了。這是曾經有過的,但是,各有各忙,安排不易,總會有機會吧。

Xiangdong Zhuo
Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 21:10
English to Chinese
高原湖泊 Aug 6, 2011

普达措国家森林公园,算是保护比较好的景区。

能在这里生活,就是当牛做马也认了。呵呵,人是不许内的。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

旅游见闻 Travel Broadens One's Mind

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »