Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks Jul 20, 2017

Thanks Samuel. And congratulations on your MT tool.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New version of simplegoog v5 Jul 21, 2019

Hello everyone

I got a new computer and had to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I've discovered that traytips do not behave rationally in Windows 10. The original simplegoog script uses traytips for a progress indicator, but that is no longer feasible in Windows 10, so I created a new version that uses a tooltip in the top right corner of the screen to tell you how many segments
... See more
Hello everyone

I got a new computer and had to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I've discovered that traytips do not behave rationally in Windows 10. The original simplegoog script uses traytips for a progress indicator, but that is no longer feasible in Windows 10, so I created a new version that uses a tooltip in the top right corner of the screen to tell you how many segments are being translated.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/simplegoog%20for%20win10.zip

Samuel
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New version: asks if you want to use PBMT or NMT Aug 1, 2019

Hello everyone

Today was the last straw.

Google's "neural" translation has been getting worse and worse (producing sentences that sound beautiful and idiomatic, but which are not accurate translations of the source text). At one time, if you did not specify which MT engine you want to use, Google would use the PBMT engine (the old statistical engine), but that has changed. These days, unless you specify PBMT, Google uses the NMT engine (the new neural engine). And up
... See more
Hello everyone

Today was the last straw.

Google's "neural" translation has been getting worse and worse (producing sentences that sound beautiful and idiomatic, but which are not accurate translations of the source text). At one time, if you did not specify which MT engine you want to use, Google would use the PBMT engine (the old statistical engine), but that has changed. These days, unless you specify PBMT, Google uses the NMT engine (the new neural engine). And up to the previous version of my SimpleGoog script, it doesn't ask which engine to use for the machine translation (so it ends up using NMT).

So, here is another update to the script, which asks you if you want to use PBMT or NMT:
http://www.leuce.com/autoit/simplegoog%205b_10.zip

Again, there is no virus (although even my own antivirus program thought so, and promptly deleted the 32-bit version as soon as I tried to use it). The 64-bit version is less likely to trigger antivirus warnings. If you're concerned about viruses, install AutoIt so that you can use the "AU3" version.

In my language combination, the PBMT engine produces translations that are more obviously not-yet-ready, but it sticks closer to the source text (and thus the source text meaning), so there's less risk that a translator would just accept the translation as-is and move to the next segment without realising that while the sentence looks lovely, it doesn't say what the source text says.

Samuel
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A simple Google Translate translator for API users

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »