Tamatoa Audouin
Tamatoa Audouin  Identity Verified
French Polynesia
Local time: 01:27
Member (2014)
Tahitian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Out-of-the-box solutions for converting files to XLIFF format? Any Casmacat alternative? Dec 7, 2016

Hi everyone, thank you very much for your replies to the question I asked last year:

I'm looking for a good Web-based CAT Tool solution to install on my own server, using my own databases and not the ones I've seen until now, which all say "cloud-based" when in fact they keep everything on their own servers.
Any suggestions?

Cem Bekis nailed it.

I'm currently digesting all the slides and advice that I could get at the 2016 AMT
... See more
Hi everyone, thank you very much for your replies to the question I asked last year:

I'm looking for a good Web-based CAT Tool solution to install on my own server, using my own databases and not the ones I've seen until now, which all say "cloud-based" when in fact they keep everything on their own servers.
Any suggestions?

Cem Bekis nailed it.

I'm currently digesting all the slides and advice that I could get at the 2016 AMTA Conference in Austin, TX a few weeks ago.
I was particularly attentive to the Casmacat talks and also did a tutorial on Casmacat too with Prof. Philipp Koehn.
The whole conference was very technical, and mostly oriented towards scientists and researchers rather than the lambda translator and they all seemed to be very busy discussing figures, blue scores, etc. so I didn't dare asking too many questions.

However, Casmacat appeared to be an interesting solution for me because it is an open-source, web-based CAT tool that can be installed on my own server and is also modular.

However, Casmacat only handles XLIFF files.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to set up converters to prepare the files (doc, xls, idml, pdf, and many more) into the XLIFF format which Casmacat requires and would then convert the output XLIFF files back into the original format.

Are there out-of-the-box solutions for that? Or maybe Casmacat alternatives?
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
try the Okapi Framework Dec 8, 2016

tamatoa wrote:

Any suggestions?

Cem Bekis nailed it.

I'm currently digesting all the slides and advice that I could get at the 2016 AMTA Conference in Austin, TX a few weeks ago.
I was particularly attentive to the Casmacat talks and also did a tutorial on Casmacat too with Prof. Philipp Koehn.
The whole conference was very technical, and mostly oriented towards scientists and researchers rather than the lambda translator and they all seemed to be very busy discussing figures, blue scores, etc. so I didn't dare asking too many questions.

However, Casmacat appeared to be an interesting solution for me because it is an open-source, web-based CAT tool that can be installed on my own server and is also modular.

However, Casmacat only handles XLIFF files.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way to set up converters to prepare the files (doc, xls, idml, pdf, and many more) into the XLIFF format which Casmacat requires and would then convert the output XLIFF files back into the original format.

Are there out-of-the-box solutions for that? Or maybe Casmacat alternatives?

Although it is the last thing I would ever want to do myself (I think I'll just stick to translating/dictating simple .docx files in DéJà Vu X3 with Dragon Professional Individual), I think the Okapi project should provide you with all the file converting fire-power you will ever need: http://okapiframework.org/

Have fun geeking out!

Michael

[Edited at 2016-12-08 00:31 GMT]

Tamatoa Audouin
Tamatoa Audouin  Identity Verified
French Polynesia
Local time: 01:27
Member (2014)
Tahitian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Casmacat is not for professionals Jan 20, 2017

Hi,
thanks for your replies.
I've decided to drop Casmacat. Not only does it have poor install instructions but the code is also obsolete today.
The 2014 project has barely been updated since then so it would cost time and money to update the code and develop a custom software from there, unless the EU puts more money on the project. As it is, Casmacat is only good for student doing research and the likes.
We'll have a look at the Matecat open-source code instead and see
... See more
Hi,
thanks for your replies.
I've decided to drop Casmacat. Not only does it have poor install instructions but the code is also obsolete today.
The 2014 project has barely been updated since then so it would cost time and money to update the code and develop a custom software from there, unless the EU puts more money on the project. As it is, Casmacat is only good for student doing research and the likes.
We'll have a look at the Matecat open-source code instead and see if any of our server-stored data is shared outside our server, be it to the Matecat team or to translated.net.

Thanks all for your valuable contributions.
Collapse

Tiberiu Leon
Tiberiu Leon
Local time: 13:27
English to Romanian
+ ...
Olanto Mar 27, 2017

You may want to take a look at this:
https://github.com/olanto
or
http://olanto.org/software

[Edited at 2017-03-27 09:42 GMT]

gorfreed
gorfreed
Germany
Local time: 12:27
German to English
+ ...
Casmacat Olanto May 7, 2017

I just tried to install Casmacat as well on my server. Documentation is awful, however, I almost got the feeling this is intentionally. I mean, isn't this what then became Matecat? It looks as if this was funded by an NPO and the guys developing it kinda also wanted to sell it when the are done with it, so they made it extra nebulous to set up. I mean, its a very simple php setup, but of course the SQL templates they deliver are all broke so you cannot really do anything with it... See more
I just tried to install Casmacat as well on my server. Documentation is awful, however, I almost got the feeling this is intentionally. I mean, isn't this what then became Matecat? It looks as if this was funded by an NPO and the guys developing it kinda also wanted to sell it when the are done with it, so they made it extra nebulous to set up. I mean, its a very simple php setup, but of course the SQL templates they deliver are all broke so you cannot really do anything with it

Checked out Olanto as well! There isn't any documentation on how to set it up or what to do with it unfortunately. It also doesnt seem to be a script at all, at least I didnt see html/php.

There must be another tool than Zanata, right??
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:27
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast Server + client Apr 17, 2019

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this thread.

Why not try Wordfast Server?
It is a software you install on any Windows computer or Windows server. It will happily host your TMs and glossaries up until massive sizes and have extremely sharp and fast response times. Powerful concordance too.

BTW: It's free for freelancers (not agencies or organizations of any kind) for up to three client connections simultaneously.

Clients:
_You can connect all WF CAT
... See more
Hi all, I just stumbled upon this thread.

Why not try Wordfast Server?
It is a software you install on any Windows computer or Windows server. It will happily host your TMs and glossaries up until massive sizes and have extremely sharp and fast response times. Powerful concordance too.

BTW: It's free for freelancers (not agencies or organizations of any kind) for up to three client connections simultaneously.

Clients:
_You can connect all WF CAT tools to it.
_If you want a web-based version, you can open a Wordfast Anywhere account (free) and connect your TMs and glossaries from your own web server to it. I have tried it and it works!
_You just need to get the API (for TMs and gloss combinations) from your local server install, and then add it your client (WFA, WFPro, WF Classic).
_If you're good at programming, you can make your own UI to make API calls to your server (concordance searches etc.).

If some of you want additional information please ask specific questions, I can try to explain a little more.
Otherwise, I'm preparing a video series on this (slow process though) and I have existing videos describing the API connection system on my FI2Pro channel. CAT Guru also has some old ones on WF Server.

That's an interesting and powerful setup, if some of you actually get to do it, let me know how you feel about it.

Hope this helps

My bests
Collapse

Tiberiu Leon
Tiberiu Leon
Local time: 13:27
English to Romanian
+ ...
https://kaplan.pro Jan 17, 2023

There is a web-based solution, although not a finished and full-flavored product:
https://kaplan.pro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web-based CAT Tool solutions to install on own server

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »